Thread: Fear of choking/swallowing

Fear of choking/swallowing

Hi! I have not been truly diagnosed with Anxiety. My grandmother who is a nurse diagnosed me. Not officially. Anyway. My grandfather died June 30th. We had his funeral the following Friday. Before his death I was showing symptoms of anxiety. I had tightness in my throat and a feeling of dread and that I was going to die every time I swallowed. Well fast forward to the night of the funeral. My grandmother took me out for dinner and I choked on a piece of Stromboli. Ever since I have been afraid to swallow. Eating was always my favorite thing to do. Until this happened.. I have to chew my food fully and drink liquids to help me swallow. I'm unable to finish a meal due to my fear. I don't eat much anymore. I'm afraid to go home because of my parents reaction. I don't know what I am do to get over this. I fear I will choke when I swallow. I fear a hesitation. Sometimes I get nervous when I have to swallow and hesitate and then I can feel the panic rise in my stomach. I don't know what to do. I'm scared to eat. I've been staring at this Mac and cheese for hours.. it's grown cold.. I think I'm getting better then an episode happens. And I panic and I relapse.. I am at my wits end.

Re: Fear of choking/swallowing

I've had some days that are easier then others. Usually I have trouble and I don't know why. It's stressing me out. I use a lot of water to help me swallow. Does anyone else have this? Are there any tips that can help me?

I have something similar, im afraid to swallow sometimes and I use water to help it go down and chew fully as well. Sometimes my throat will even click when I swallow, I don't have any tips. But just know you're not the only one with this problem!

It's the worst.. I can barely eat. I have to use a lot of water.. I feel like a shel of what I once was. I don't know yeah. To do Anymore. I try to eat everything I once was able to eat. But it's so difficult, andntakes such a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledinosaur View Post
    My grandmother took me out for dinner and I choked on a piece of Stromboli. Ever since I have been afraid to swallow. Eating was always my favorite thing to do. Until this happened.. I have to chew my food fully and drink liquids to help me swallow. I'm unable to finish a meal due to my fear. I don't eat much anymore. I'm afraid to go home because of my parents reaction. I don't know what I am do to get over this. I fear I will choke when I swallow. I fear a hesitation. Sometimes I get nervous when I have to swallow and hesitate and then I can feel the panic rise in my stomach. I don't know what to do. I'm scared to eat. I've been staring at this Mac and cheese for hours.. it's grown cold.. I think I'm getting better then an episode happens. And I panic and I relapse.. I am at my wits end.

Wow I can't even imagine going through such a thing. I hope you're coping well bud :O

Okay so one of the things that we need to understand is that fear, is mostly irrational and CAN be conditioned (Learned). This is why you've suddenly become fearful of swallowing.

Somehow, you've learned that swallowing is scary cause it could cause death.

What I suggest trying is to UNLEARN the fact that swallowing solid food is scary

You do this by going through small goals and accomplishing them as you go up the ladder-

E.g. Eating liquid or easy to swallow food like oats and cereals (These are fine for you right now, I hope?), then move onto smaller food like snacks and chips before slowly moving onto bigger solid food.
    When you eat, if possible, have someone around who knows how (Or learn) to do the CPR Choking prevention thing where you squeeze under the rib / chest area (Can't remember what it's called but it's to get whatever that's stuck in the throat out- as seen in many movies lol) so that should your panic somehow cause you to get the food stuck, you have someone to help pop the sucker out.

But the purpose of the buddy is not to pop that thing out. He/she is actually there mainly to support you and give you the comfort in knowing that if anything were to go wrong, someone is there to assist, much like the paramedics on standby in events.

It'll be good if you can go for a physical check up as well, if you haven't, to confirm that there's nothing wrong biologically. Cause if IT IS biological? Needless to say, the path towards recovery will be very different lol.

Hope this helped :-)

Thread Information