Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Severe Weather and Tornadoes

Fear of Severe Weather and Tornadoes

Hello all.

I am hoping someone can help me a bit, because now we are getting to that time of year in my part of the world where thunderstorms and sever weather including tornadoes watches and warnings are more likely.

I have a fear of severe weather especially anything involving tornadoes. everyone else thinks I'm nuts bar my girl who sympathies but really does not know what she can do for me.

Sunday is supposed to be a doozy and I'm a bit worked up two days early!

I stupidly enough following the National Weather Service all week and know ahead of time how bad it is. If the report calls for bad weather and I know about it I'm in a 'pre-panic' state all day, worse if I'm at work, and when it comes I'm pretty much in full blown panic mode till it subsides.

It really sucks at work as I have to deal with the public and I feel so jumoy and like I'm going to snap on them because I can't get how they are so damn calm like its sunshine and blue skies!

I have a couple xannax but I won't have those all Spring and Summer and I'm supposed to be moving to Texas where they can have hurricanes oh boy!

Any3waya and helps, links or support on this is greatly appreciated, I feel a bit like a baby admitting this, but I know going to work Sunday if the weather reports still call for severe weather including tornadoes will be hell for me no joke.

Re: Fear of Severe Weather and Tornadoes

hi hunni cant offer any advice but can offer a big hug cos must be frighteneing xx

Thanks Scaredstiff...

I guess no one has any advice or anything?

They keep saying it gets worse the closer it gets to Sunday.

I was not like this a couple years ago and deffo don't like being like this now.

I can understand how you feel. I can be terrible for constantly checking weather reports as soon as I hear news of something unpleasant coming, several times a day in the hope it won't be as bad - sometimes is and sometimes isn't - not that I can alter it either way anyway!! Feel stupid doing it to, but can't help myself. I'm not quite as bad as I was but it still bothers me, even the thought makes me a little fluttery. The only advise I can offer is to write your feelings down, it can allieviate those cronic anxiety feelings. It is a way of talking to someone about it - even though your only writing it down. Hope this helps in some way. Take care, Paul.

I watched a show, I think it was based in Canada.
    The woman had a sever fear of bad wheather, espically thunder storms.
    her fear took over her life in a way, she watched the weather channel, always monitoring the weather, dreading the next storm.
    when there was a storm she would lock her self in her bathroom with the radio.

She had CBT including exposure which is great for phobia's. They even took her to some sicence musueum which ahd a room that stimulted thunder and listening.

exposure works by being exposed to your fear while having the tools to remain calm, But I'm sure theres much more work than tht involved.

finding a good therpisst in its self is hard work

a phobia is an irrational fear so I am not sure what advice to give, maybe come on here, like you can use your laptop if you have one durning a storm

you could try buying a thunder storm CD to get used to the sounds, listen to it for a minute and then increase the time every few days.

I get scared if I m outside in lightening.
    I know the storms here are NOTHING compared to America, I know I would be terrified of tornados too

Could you tell us what type of storm is due??
    then maybe we could give you better practical advice.

I couldnt live anywhere where there was Hurricanes and Tornados .They look bad enough on Tv .You have my sympathy and I can understand how you must feel WELL SORT OF ..Here I do like to watch thunder and lightning storms through the window ,But when the wind has been really bad ,It gives me the jitters ,Its the fear of the damage it can do .Broken fences roofs and cars are enough for me .Stay safe and do what you usually do .Distraction by means of music is always good .Maybe a self hypnosis or Relaxation CD would help ,Hope it passes over soon and isnt too bad T/c Sue .

Thanks for all the great replies guys!

Nervy, I get you trust me, it is no fun is it?

Mishel, I will be stuck by myself at work, something else that really bugs me as I hate it there normally and this will not help at all.
    I leave in about an hour and my mouth is dry and I want to cry.

I was not like this a couple years ago I think two bigger storms we got in that time freaked me out.

I'm in Illinois right near Chicago btw. They have been predicting this storm since Friday and although it has looked a bit better today (less tornadoes which is what I am mainly afraid of), but I'm still in full panic mode...

I wish it would just go away but it won't, and what's hard too is my girlfriend who lives with me has had to put up with so much with me between my physical and mental issues that I feel shamed to be like this and also feel I'm being a burden to my family with this BS, but to me its so real and scary and frightning...

Thanks for all the great replies guys!

Nervy, I get you trust me, it is no fun is it?

Mishel, I will be stuck by myself at work, something else that really bugs me as I hate it there normally and this will not help at all.
    I leave in about an hour and my mouth is dry and I want to cry.

I was not like this a couple years ago I think two bigger storms we got in that time freaked me out.

I'm in Illinois right near Chicago btw. They have been predicting this storm since Friday and although it has looked a bit better today (less tornadoes which is what I am mainly afraid of), but I'm still in full panic mode...

I wish it would just go away but it won't, and what's hard too is my girlfriend who lives with me has had to put up with so much with me between my physical and mental issues that I feel shamed to be like this and also feel I'm being a burden to my family with this BS, but to me its so real and scary and frightning...

how did work go? sorry you had to be alone in work
    don't ever let anyone make you feel ashamed, phobias are irrational, you did not cause it and you cant control it

Quote Originally Posted by mishel View Post
    how did work go? sorry you had to be alone in work
    don't ever let anyone make you feel ashamed, phobias are irrational, you did not cause it and you cant control it
    I agree totally with mishel above, I hate myself sometimes for the things I fear, I know it's irrational, but it isn't the whole of me, just a bit of me.
    Hope it went by ok, and work was ok for you. One point, I find it easier to cope not being at home when the weathers 'off' - weird eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information