Thread: Sore Puffy Eyes First Thing in the Morning

Sore Puffy Eyes First Thing in the Morning

Hello All

Trust you are all having a good weekend.

Does anybody suffer with sore puffy eyelids in the morning. Its only for the first hour or so, but I'm wondering if its a side effect of water retention or dry eyes caused by Mirtazpine.

Thanks

Nahdia

Re: Sore Puffy Eyes First Thing in the Morning

Hi Nahdia ..I dont know if the Mirt is causing this ,but I do get this sometimes .Not on Mirt btw ..Bathe your eyes in strong tea applied with cotton wool .It refreshes and also reduced the puffiness .You can also leave cool tea bags on your eyes for a better result .Best to ask the Dr if he thinks its the Mirt ,dry eyes can be relieved by drops if this is the case ..T/c luv Suex

Hi Nahdia - this is my second stint on mirtazapine. During my first stint I had dry eyes throughout the nine weeks I was on it. But this time round I only suffered this side effect (dry, slightly bloodshot puffy eyes) for the first week or two. I have been on them approximately 5 weeks now and have not suffered this side effect since then. So it may just be an initial SE and may disappear with time.

suzy-sue's recommendation about the tea bags and perhaps asking your doc to recommend some eye drops/spray for dry eyes is sound. There is an excellent spray which you can just spray onto your eye lids and it penetrates through to the eyes - don't think I can mention the name as it could be seen as advertising.

The other thing I would mention is that when I spend a lot of time on the computer my eyes get quite dry - so this could be adding to your problem. If this is the case try to take frequent breaks from the screen. I do hope the condition improves soon. Take care.

Belle x

Thank you for the remedies, will definitely give them a go.

Belle, I'm in my third week now. Did you find you slept better first time round taking it or this time round. I'm worried that its a sign that I'm not getting a restful nights sleep

Hi Nahdia, no I definitely don't think it's a sign that you are not getting a restful night's sleep - my sleep is the same as first time around.
    Mirtazapine has a powerful anti-histamine effect as you probably know. Now the thing about anti-histamines is that they have a drying effect on the mucous membranes in our bodies... so I would say that this is what is causing the puffiness/dryness. You say you are only getting it for the first hour or so of the day, so that's not so bad.. try the remedies mentioned and in the meanwhile try not to dwell on it too much - it will probably disappear over time.

Belle x

Thank you belle, forgot about the anti-histamine and the effect on mucous membrane. Makes sense!

Your answer has really helped ease the anxiety.

I hope life is treating you well.

Nahdia

Mirtazapine sore eyes - YES 100%!

I started around two weeks ago on 30mg per night before sleep...it was far too high for me, the next day I was so groggy!

Now I have been on 15mg before bedtime for around ten days and the main horrible thing I don't like about this drug is DEHYDRATION! ...not the kind you notice as normal dehydration, but just a feeling of being very dried out.

My nostrils are always dried out, my nose is stuffy... and my eyes are always sore. They feel strained and burning sometimes. Not a nice sensation, so I hope this will subside after a week or so.

Dry sore strained feeling in eyes with Mirtazapine? Yes, very very much so. I need to see my ophthalmologist and get an eye test....need to see my eye guy, you know... check my eye balls and stuff

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Belleblue View Post
    Hi Nahdia, no I definitely don't think it's a sign that you are not getting a restful night's sleep - my sleep is the same as first time around.
    Mirtazapine has a powerful anti-histamine effect as you probably know. Now the thing about anti-histamines is that they have a drying effect on the mucous membranes in our bodies... so I would say that this is what is causing the puffiness/dryness. You say you are only getting it for the first hour or so of the day, so that's not so bad.. try the remedies mentioned and in the meanwhile try not to dwell on it too much - it will probably disappear over time.

Belle x
    Thanks! ...yes this makes perfect sense now. Why my nose and eyes are so dried out and uncomfortable.

I used visco tears eye drops every morning, try to limit screen use and I have been keeping hydrated with electrolyte powder in my water. I also use anti-glare glasses with a slight prescription because I have an astigmatism in one eye. ....but my eyes are still sore and nostrils dried out ( I have been using a saline nasal spray - for babies. Just to ease the discomfort. )

Thread Information