Thread: Throat Cut Heal Time

Feeling of Something Stuck in Throat

Hi

I'm posting this in the Health Anxiety sub as I do suffer from health anxiety in that I always worry that every issue I have is cancer... However, I don't (that I know of!) invent these initial small issues, they're very much real and come out of nowhere whether I'm going through a lot of stress at the time or whether I'm super relaxed... It doesn't make a difference.

Anyway, the current issue I'm facing is that it feels like there's something stuck in the left side of my throat. The feeling is about two inches to the left of my Adams apple and is always there but never really gets better or worse.

It feels as though there's a small piece of food or phlegm stuck there and no matter what I do, it doesn't shift. It's not painful, just very annoying and of course even though I try not to worry, my brain automatically jumps to "cancer" and then I start to panic!

Anyway, the issue has been ongoing for about a month now and seemingly came out of nowhere. Only thing I should note is that this came on a few days after I randomly started getting ectopic (skipped) heartbeats... As in about 3 or more a minute. The doctor gave me two ECG tests and said all was fine with that.

The other thing I noticed was that around about the same time as the lump on the throat occurred, I woke up with a burning throat which went away within a few hours. I do have a history of GERD due to a hiatus hernia so this is likely from acid reflux in the night.

Anyway, I went for a laryngascope which came back all clear and also thyroid blood tests, all clear again.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I have had my tonsils removed about 5 years ago and the ENT who did the scope and blood tests said it could be due to the remnants of the tonsil leftover becoming infected and somehow causing the throat sticking feeling... Not sure how as the throat sticking feeling is about 3 inches further down than where my tonsils were.

Anyway, any input is welcome!

Thanks

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Re: Feeling of Something Stuck in Throat

It’s a phenomenon called globus pharyngis. It’s usually brought on by anxiety. If you were recently anxious about your heart then it makes sense that you’d be feeling physical anxiety symptoms. It can last for weeks or even months sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by au Lait View Post
    It’s a phenomenon called globus pharyngis. It’s usually brought on by anxiety. If you were recently anxious about your heart then it makes sense that you’d be feeling physical anxiety symptoms. It can last for weeks or even months sometimes.
    Thanks for the reply! I have actually had this in the past and it's what lead to me having the camera down my throat to diagnose the hernia. However, in the past when I've had it, it's felt like a golf ball being stuck, like a tension style fulness.

What I have atm is more like a small, pea sized something feeling lodged in my throat. If I press on the area and cough a little, it sort of feels like it's catching whatever is stuck there.. This same technique yields no similar results if I do it on the opposite side if my throat though hence my believing there's something amiss on the left side of my throat... Does this still sound like Globus? Genuine question btw, I'm no expert!

I have the same feeling but on the right side. I also have proper globus (in the middle) sometimes. I feel like I have a low level virus, so I have wondered if these are lymph nodes or globus and, being a hypochondriac, I also worry it is cancer.

I haven't been to the doctor yet. I seem to have constant lumps and bumps and I am so sick of going through this cycle, getting recommended for imaging, wasting money, etc etc.

I also feel like I've gotten this exact sensation numerous times before. I am hoping it goes away soon, but I know exactly what you are feeling. I HOPE it's anxiety!

Very odd! Wonder what the hell it is in both of us! I don't have a fever and also don't have the traditional globus feeling myself, just the ones side feeling of something being stuck there.

I'm like you though, fed up of the cycle of issue leading to panicking and self diagnosing terminal illnesses followed by tests, scans etc. I've had more tests, MRIs, CTs etc for random issues than some people have in a lifetime! And of course I don't trust the doctors verdicts half the time either

Health Anxiety along with actually getting random, unexplainable illnesses and issues is a really crappy combination!

Something In Throat Feeling (Different to Globus and Other Posts)

Hey

The title comes from me previously having "Globus" which for me was a feeling of a large item (like a golf ball) being stuck in my throat, this felt more tense than what I'm facing now and went away after a few weeks.

My current issue is localised to one side of my throat, maybe an inch to the left of my adams apple and I've had it for about 2 months.

The everyday feeling is that of something small stuck in that area, almost feels like it's scratched or damaged. When I eat spicy foods, it sometimes burns in this exact area also.

It never goes away and feels the same now as it did 2 months ago. If I attempt to clear my throat, phlegm comes up almost every time and feels as though its coming from that part in my throat where the "stuck" feeling is. But this only ever so slightly clears the issue for a few seconds.

I've had an Ultrasound, Thyroid blood tests and a Larnyngascope, all of which found nothing. I do have a history of GERD.

Anyone any idea what this could be and what I can do to resolve? Trying some mucus clearing cough syrup ATM but it's not doing much.

I'll not that I don't have any other symptoms. No cough, no sore throat, nothing.

Cheers

Re: Something In Throat Feeling (Different to Globus and Other Posts)

Small update: it doesn't seem to be there when i first wake up or when I've been set down with my head resting on the back of a chair for a while.

After waking up, it only really starts when I get up and start my day (even before I eat anything)

Throat Cut Heal Time

Hey

Okay, so I posted about a week ago about having a feeling of something stuck in my throat for the past few months and having an Ultrasound and a Laryngoscope which both came back clear.

Now, I'm still having this issue but it feels less like something stuff and more like it's irritated or cut. The feeling is just above my collar bone and covers a small area (few CMs) and it's definitely inside my throat, as in inside the esophagus.

Anyway, sometimes when I'm eating, drinking or even move my neck funny, I get a stinging feeling and sometimes a burning feeling in this area. Sometimes also get a very mild, shooting pain up to my ear and in my neck which to me indicates that its a cut.

My question is, would a cut still be healing after 2 months of my having this issue?

Cheers

Re: Throat Cut Heal Time

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Thread Information