Thread: Food gets stuck, please help :-(

Food gets stuck, please help :-(

For about 8 months I have been getting food stuck when I eat. It started with baguettes and now lots of different things cause it. I am so scared I have a tumour :-(. I don't know what to do. I'm so scared. Please help me.

Re: Food gets stuck, please help :-(

When u say stuck do you mean you have to have water to let it pass through? I have had the something stuck in my throat feeling for about two months, it sometimes goes for about a hour or two than comes back, but when I'm eating can't feel it, gets me all frustrated, praying helps keep my sanity. How long have u had this feeling for? I'm sure it's just anxiety, that tightens your throat muscles when you eat, because your concentrating on that particular area more. Our mind is very powerful.

I don't always have to have water, if I wait it usually passes on its own. If your feeling comes on without food then Im sure it will be anxiety related. Im so scared. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower7 View Post
    I don't always have to have water, if I wait it usually passes on its own. If your feeling comes on without food then Im sure it will be anxiety related. Im so scared. Thanks for your help.
    Hi Sunflower,

I actually have physical difficulty swallowing due to surgeries and cancer treatment for oral cancer. I have to have water with pretty much every bite of food with the exception of some soft foods (mashed potatoes, eggs etc.) but even then I still need to drink copious amounts to keep from choking.

Has it ever caused you to choke or have you aspirated food or water?
    Regardless, I would ask your doctor about. If he feels there's a physical reason, he may be able to refer you to a speech/language pathologist for a swallow study.

Good Luck!
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hope you are ok Fishmanpa :-(. No I haven't chocked. Just an uncomfortable feeling as if the food taking a while to go down. I'm hoping its just indigestion but am scared.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower7 View Post
    Hope you are ok Fishmanpa :-(. No I haven't chocked. Just an uncomfortable feeling as if the food taking a while to go down. I'm hoping its just indigestion but am scared.
    Hey Sunflower,

Yeah, I'm Ok. It's part of what I call the "new normal". I'm still healing (6 months post treatment) so it may get better but it beats the heck out of the alternative If you check the "Symptoms" link on the left side of the page there's a section that describes what you're dealing with almost word for word. It sure sounds like your anxiety is getting the better of you.

Hope you feel better
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information