Thread: Lump feeling in one side of the throat

Lump feeling in one side of the throat

I've had this on and off for a couple of weeks now. I can only feel it on one side and my anxiety is creeping up and up. I think I have tmj (I clench my jaw a lot at night and it's worse on that side) and I also get tonsil stones from time to time. However when I swallow there is some discomfort in my ear as well as the lump feeling in my throat. My anxiety is telling me:

Thyroid cancer
    Lymph node cancer
    Cancer of the pharynx / throat

For some reason the more logical explanations seem so unlikely to me. I am tired even at the thought of going to the Dr for this and the endless waiting for tests. It's exhausting. I've been through it so many times for one reason or another, but I'm worried as usual that if I don't go, I will miss 'cancer' and it will get so advanced that by the time it's discovered it will be too late to do anything about it. So tired of this!

Re: Lump feeling in one side of the throat

Hi!
    I started to get the exact same problem as you last year and it has just come back. I was diagnosed with tmj by my dentist. The ear pain/full feeling is horrible and I know I what you mean about the one sided throat lump feeling. Remember that your ear and throat are connected and there's a big nerve around there apparently. Have you had your wisdom teeth out? Mine is impacted on that side too but they couldn't remove it all because it's right by a nerve, I think it's all linked. I also have a but of a swollen lymph node behind my jaw/ear when pressed. I've had these symptoms on and off since last summer. Hope this helps

Thank you so much! Yes I do have an impacted wisdom tooth on that side and my dentist wants it removed but I'm scared of the general anesthtic :(
    When I clench my teeth together I have pain on that side too which makes me think it's a jaw issue as I had the teeth checked by the dentist and there was no decay or anything. It's a relief to hear from someone who has the same issue. Do you know what made yours go away or flare up again?

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Also was yours worse when you swallowed? Really cold drinks seem to make it worse.

I got given a mouth guard for my tmj but I've hardly worn it! It's never completely gone away, I think it has just got a bit worse again but I suppose I'm used to it! I think there is a link between tmj and impacted wisdom teeth, something about a misaligned bite I think. I remember when I first noticed last year I was really panicking and noticed how weird it felt every time I drank something. I'm feeling pain and the fullness right now actually but my dentist said it will just be the wisdom tooth and to take pain relief to when needed. I know it's not pleasant but it's not a worry to me anymore (I've got a million other things I'm fixated on now!!)

Thanks for this. My jaw does click on that side too. I hope it's that and not one of the other nasties from my list. Glad to hear it doesn't bother you much any more, but sorry to hear you have other worries. There's always something it seems!

Thread Information