Thread: In a constant, terrible fear over throat pain

In a constant, terrible fear over throat pain

Hi all,

Really hoping you can talk some sense into me. For the past two weeks I've had a sore throat. The lack of any other symptoms (no cold/fever) is what's worrying me. I've never had JUST a sore throat for this long, and it may sound trivial but my mind is going haywire, ruining every single day, I've even had to take days off work because I keep going to Dr Google for endless paranoia-inducing searches argh.

The first three or four days, it was only sore when I drank hot tea/coffee, but since then it's become a more-or-less constant, dull ache. A kind of dry/raw/sore throat feeling. I keep having to drink water because it's so dry, and I'm also clearing my throat of mucus a lot.

I did go to my doctor, she felt my throat and inspected mouth and said there are no nasty lumps or signs of infection. She suggested it MIGHT be silent reflux, but even she didn't sound sure about that, and I don't have any other signs of reflux, so I don't want to start taking medication for that.

All I can think of is that, one day before the sore throat started, I violently cleared my throat for a prolonged period (about five minutes of clearing my throat). Could that have maybe torn/strained something? But would that really cause a sore throat lasting this long?

Help, please! My mind keeps going to throat cancer and I can't bear this obsessive mental agony. I know from reading other posts on here that throat cancer doesn't typically announce itself with a sore throat, but too much Dr Googling has made me crazy. Btw I'm 38, male. Help!

Re: In a constant, terrible fear over throat pain

Quote Originally Posted by veteranworrier View Post
    Hi all,

Really hoping you can talk some sense into me. For the past two weeks I've had a sore throat. The lack of any other symptoms (no cold/fever) is what's worrying me. I've never had JUST a sore throat for this long, and it may sound trivial but my mind is going haywire, ruining every single day, I've even had to take days off work because I keep going to Dr Google for endless paranoia-inducing searches argh.

The first three or four days, it was only sore when I drank hot tea/coffee, but since then it's become a more-or-less constant, dull ache. A kind of dry/raw/sore throat feeling. I keep having to drink water because it's so dry, and I'm also clearing my throat of mucus a lot.

I did go to my doctor, she felt my throat and inspected mouth and said there are no nasty lumps or signs of infection. She suggested it MIGHT be silent reflux, but even she didn't sound sure about that, and I don't have any other signs of reflux, so I don't want to start taking medication for that.

All I can think of is that, one day before the sore throat started, I violently cleared my throat for a prolonged period (about five minutes of clearing my throat). Could that have maybe torn/strained something? But would that really cause a sore throat lasting this long?

Help, please! My mind keeps going to throat cancer and I can't bear this obsessive mental agony. I know from reading other posts on here that throat cancer doesn't typically announce itself with a sore throat, but too much Dr Googling has made me crazy. Btw I'm 38, male. Help!

If your doc says it's reflux, it's probably reflux. Very common. A lot more common than throat cancer, that's for sure.

Keep your head up.

Hi I have the same problems. It hurts to swallow in the morning but does get somewhat better as the day progresses. Gets worse at night. Try taking magnesium pills and maca root. I'm not sure yet if it's a virus or hay fever from allergies. Don't worry keep on researching and I'm sure you will find a cure. Do not Google your symptoms , it'll just get you down ...

Don't get too worked up. Dr. Google messed with my head too. *******!

As others have said, reflux is wayyyy more common than throat cancer. Even more remote if you don't smoke and don't abuse alcohol.

I had a cough that lasted too long for my liking. Went to the GP who thought maybe it was reflux. She couldn't find anything wrong with me. Visit to the ENT got me a scope through the nose to look down the throat (not all that bad). Everything was clear though he said he saw a bit of bubbling so he said - reflux.

During this time, I developed a mild pain in the cricoid cartilage so got a thyroid ultrasound that showed nothing.

Don't fret and don't google.

Thread Information