Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I suffer from a phobia of diarrhea

Question I suffer from a phobia of diarrhea

Ok, I am a 15 year old girl and I have been suffering with a phobia of diarrhea since I was 7 years old. It has caused a lot of other phobias I have. I'll start from the beginning. One friday morning when I was seven years old, I woke up and felt sick to my stomach. But not the throw up kind. I felt like that for a few hours and then all of a sudden I had to rush to the bathroom with watery, smelly explosive diarrhea. I was traumatised! It was the first time in my entire life I had gotten it. I had to go to the bathroom a few times the rest of the day and I remember going to my mother and crying my eyes out and she had to force me to tell her what was wrong.
    A few months later it was a friday again and I was playing with my sister and all of a sudden my stomach started growling. I thought they were hunger growls so I kept saying I was probably hungry even though I didn't feel hungry. Then I had to rush to the bathroom and for some reason I went to the downstarirs bathroom and had diarrhea there cuz I hoped no one would hear me. That was the first time I felt embarrassed.
    A few months later I got diarrhea again and again and again. As time past I kept getting diarrhea more often and I became soooo terrified of it that it really messed up my mental health. I would go off food that I thought caused the diarrhea (I wouldn't eat for the whole day and even the day after and, 2 years ago I literally almost starved myself to death) and I was scared of the day I would get it (e.g. If I got it on a sunday I would be terrified of the next sunday cuz I thought I would get it again) ,I would take of the clothing I was wearing and never wear them again becuz I thought they were causing the diarrhea. I would try to avoid the clothing and when I couldn't I would hold my breath. If someone would take the clothing and put it near me or they would wear it would be under extreme stress. I would hold my breath and act very weird.
    Everytime I went to the tiolet I would hold my breath, sometimes block my ears and I would always fill up the tiolet cuz I didn't want to hear, smell or let anyone else hear when I had diarrhea. Or even if my stool was normal. Even peeing I was embarrassed of but not as much. I hated hearing other people go to the bathroom and I would block my ears when they would go. When I had diarrhea I would also hold it in either becuz I was terrified or becuz there were people around.
    One time, I don't know how old I was, my grandmother came to visit. On one of the nights of her visit me and my sister were entertaining her and she got very tired and sat down to rest. I ran upstairs and got one of my favorite pillows and gave it to her to rest her head on. After a while she gave it back and I took back to bed with me. The next morning when I woke up I had diarrhea and for some reason I blamed it on the pillow. I pushed it to the end of my bed and I avoided it as best I could. I would hold my breath whenever I went near it. Things like that kept happening with more piloows, blankets, toys any object u can think of. And if anything would touch any of those things that I felt were "contaminated" then those things were also "contaminated". And also things or clothes that a member of my family was wearing or using when they had diarrhea became "contaminated" as well. Very quickly I was holding my breath, turning my head, avoiding things, people and rooms wherever I went. It was complete hell!!!!!! And this went on for years. I only told my younger sister cuz she was little and wouldn't judge me. She would just help me and hide things for me. I was under sever stress every single day for years. And no one new!!! I couldn't tell anyone!!!!! I thought I was the weirdest person on earth and I felt that if there was at leats one person alive that suffered with the same probelem as me that would have made me feel soo much better. But I was the only one. I sufferd in silence. I also had extreme selective mutism,anxiety and various other psychology disorders that were all connected. And only just figured out that these strange ways of thinking and stress and constant diarrhea and symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and stuff were all symptoms of physicology disorders. I still suffer from all these things but thank G-d no way near as bad!!!! I've been working soooo hard on my own to try and improve my way of thinking and telling myself its all irrational but I seriously need help. I am seeing a therapist and she's helping somewhat but I just need to know I'm not alone. My parents r divorced. My father was verbally, physically, sexually abusive. Since I have sever selective mutism which is a social anxiety disorder, I have such a hard time with people in general and anything got to do with my body that's embarrassing. Since I was a baby till I was 9 years old I didn't talk to a soul except my immediate family. That made school soooo hard. I had accidents everyday, was bullied a lot and blamed for everything since I couldn't speak. I have moved country now and have actually been in 3 different schools. I am sooo much better now but I haven't been in school for a while because I have depression as well and the most important thing now is to work on myself and get better. Its sooooo hard though!!!!!!!!!!! I write songs, compose music and I play piano by ear which are some of the ways I let out my stress, feelings and thoughts and overwhelming emotions. I have been doing these things since I was a very small child. I also love to draw,sing,act,bake,cook,read,write stories,paint,desing clothes,design hairstylesand take pictures. I do love to do all these things and I'm very good at doing all of them but becuz of all the stress of everything I've had to and still have to deal with I've lost a lot of interest in most of them. I just want to know I'm not alone and I need some encouragement becuz I soooo want to get better but it can take huge amounts of effort and time to do so and I'm sooo scared andthat I won't get better. I need all the help I can get.

Re: I suffer from a phobia of diarrhea

Just spotted this and pasted here for reference as it doesn't seem to pop up much since I joined:

Diarrheaphobia: fear of getting diarrhea, usually accompanied with the fear of not being able to get to a bathroom in time, and of making a mess. This one falls under the category of a social phobia. From the Greek word "diarrein," which means "to flow through."

This is not strictly what you have described but you may find some similarities or take comfort from the people explaining how they have been affected:

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/about-an...toilet-phobia/

Here is someone saying the same on this forum in an old thread, thought it might be useful to you:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47228

I don't know much about this but I would imagine it has some crossovers with emetophobia (fear of vomiting). It also sounds like you've got some traumatic experiences in there which are triggers for the behaviours that have developed.

I would suggest seeing what the emetophobic forum users are using as therapy for theirs and see if it could work for you. Potential types would be CBT, counselling, psychotherapy, Exposure Response Prevention (ERP), etc.

The depression could be sapping your motivation for your creative talents. One way to tackle depression is through Behavioural Activation, which is a fancy way of saying "get some hobbies and do some activities that you enjoy". You could start in some small way to get back into your creative hobbies or maybe you need to find something new to rekindle your creative spark and who knows, you might want to do the others. Creative activities are really advised in tackling anxiety & depression so well done for finding them on your own!

You have done a lot of things right here by finding ways to express your creative side because it will show you that you have worth and that is important.

It's obvious that your experiences have taken a toll on your confidence & self esteem. You need to build these back up because they will help you feel that you are strong enough to tackle this phobia. The therapy could help with this part, as well as talking to people on here. Honestly, even if we don't have the exact same problem, we often experience many of the anxiety issues and emotional problems so people can relate to you.

You are not alone, you are not weird, you are not going crazy! In the UK, 1 in 4 people are now said to experience mental disorders so think of all the people you see, talk to, etc in a day...are they weird? Underneath though, many of them are probably suffering in their own way.

It's also good that you have had the courage to talk to your sister. For now, she is trying to help you (I'm guessing she's pretty young) but as she gets older, perhaps she will become someone you can really talk to about this?

I can sympathize with this fear just due to the nature of it but dang, I can't imagine what exposure response prevention therapy would entail!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hey Sweetheart,
    I just want you to know that I am so sorry for the traumatic things you have experienced in your young life, but you can heal from all of these things. It seems from just this one post that you have the will and the inner strength to propel you forward toward recovery. I'm sure I can speak on behalf of the community here when I say you have our full support.
    My very best wishes for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I can sympathize with this fear just due to the nature of it but dang, I can't imagine what exposure response prevention therapy would entail!

Positive thoughts
    Me too. I can only think it could be useful with the contaminated objects issue or just to build the ability to be comfortable in the toilet.

Yes you have my support, I have phobias, not the same as you, they are not nice. Have you been tested for irritable bowel syndrome ( ibs). I have it, it sound like what I had before, I seem to control it better.

Wow reading all that now a long time after I wrote it I can say some things have changed. I'm doing online schooling now so I rarely have to deal with social anxiety because well, I don't have social life and I never go out. I think that such a great lack of social ness is having not such a great effect on me but the only other alternative is to go back to school which I can't do. Diarrhea phobia is still ruling my life. I am not seeing any type of therapist at the moment. I really see no hope in overcoming this phobia. Its too big. Too strong. And oh so irrational and crazy that I feel like people give up on me when I try to explain it. I see no future, a horrible past and a struggling present with this phobia.

I too suffer from this, from the ages of around 15 I developed a fear that I would crap my pants in assemblies. I can't really think where it came from because I only had one incident like this in school when I peed myself, it literally came from no where and there was nothing I could do. I ran to the toilet in front of the whole class and had to go to the secretary's office to get spare clothes. It was so embarrassing. However, my phobia was never that, it was always, pooping. Then when I started university I just had this all encompassing fear that I would get diarrhoea in lectures and tutorials and started to get panic attacks from there. I would skip class, not go out and basically isolate myself cos I was so embarrassed. Then I started looking into reasons why I was getting diarrhoea, researching different diets and illnesses. I have never in the seven years I have been ill been given a definite diagnosis and I know if it wasn't for imodium I wouldn't be alive. Also, opening up to people really makes a difference, most of the time I just say I have IBS because most people seem to know what it is and what it does but what I have is much more severe. I have been lucky enough to have some supportive tutors and managers and I would urge you to open up to people about it and definitely get tested for food intolerances, dairy and gluten being the most frequent gut aggravaters. But please don't feel like you are alone! If you need someone to talk to, I understand how much it sucks what we're going through!

OH MY GOSH I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!! I also have a major fear of throwing up. I am absolutely terrified of getting married or having a boyfriend because I don't want to move in with them and get it at some stage in my life. I always thought I was so weird. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

Is it possible you are suffering with Irritable bowel syndrome? I have recently been diagnosed with this and I can totally relate to your story. Having diarrhoea is incredibly uncomfortable, painful and embarrassing! With IBS my anxiety causes me to have painful stomach cramps and diarrhoea and my anxiety is caused by me worrying about getting diarrhoea so it is a vicious cycle! It sounds like this maybe part of what is going on with you. I would advise you to go and speak to your doctor about this as they can give you medication that will stop your diarrhoea and they can help you with your anxiety. You don't have to live your life struggling with this. Best of luck X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information