Thread: Fear of Flying

Unhappy Fear of Flying

I was recently just told very last minute like just a week and a half in advance that I would be going to Indiana from California for a weekend. It happened so quickly that it doesn't even feel real that it is happening, and I am barely registering it now and it i this Friday. Now I am freaking out with anxiety over what will happen. I'm thinking I have a bad intuitive feeling about this. And I just got my life together I can't die now. And I love my family kind of stuff. Even though I know I will probably be all right. So any help or words of encouragement or techniques would help.

Re: Fear of Flying

Edit / sorry I just noticed the date you posted this and that my reply is too late! Did you end up getting the flight? I hope so! I will leave my original reply below for any other nervous flyers who might benefit.

I have a fear of flying, even moderate turbulence will cause me to burst out crying. I'm currently travelling around South America and have to get a flight about every 4 days. It's not easy but I try to remind myself of the following:

1) think about how many flights take off and land safely at the airport you are flying from every day
    2) think about the huge number of flights the airline you are flying with has flown in the past year which have landed safely
    3) now think how many of the above in the past ten years.

By this stage you should start to realise how very safe air travel is! Good luck x
    Last edited by Citydeer; 19-01-17 at 05:21.

I am due to fly in 4 weeks and I have never flown before and I am absolutely cramping myself xx

Titch, how long is the flight? I flew for years with no problems but for no real reason I now dread it. I have flown 6 times in the last couple of years and every time the anticipation is far worse than the actual flight. Honestly ! Take some music or book or something to keep you occupied or distracted. I find music better as you can shut your eyes and for some reason that always helps me (unless I am driving).
    Something to think about is that at least 20% of the people on the flight are likely to be unhappy about flying. One of my easiest flights was when my 14 year old daughter was really nervous and I spent the flight trying to console her.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Thread Information