Thread: Still high beats at the Gym!

Still high beats at the Gym!

I went for my fitness test today at the gym. The girl checks my BP and it is 128 heart beats 76. She says to me that is a little high. I then have to get on the bike and ride for 5 minutes at 60-80. My girl friend did her's and her heart rate was 135 for the 5 minutes. Mine was 175. Again I am out of breathe and scared. I asked her she said well it is still ok because you are within the 80% of your heart rate.
    I don't know wether to believe this or not. Does anyone know what I should do? Cognative behaviour would probably to keep going.
    My fear is if my heart rate is that high then my bp is thur the roof.
    I really want to get over this. If my heart test came back fine then is it my lungs. I have never had anxiety this bad that I recall. Sorry for on going with this but it is my biggest hurdle. Can ecg and blood work come back ok and still something be wrong or is that it of the testing?
    Is there other tests I should be checking into.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback and
    Happy Easter!

TT

Hi TT,
    This is just a vicious circle of anxiety that you're going through, like so many of us do. Have you had the results from your ECG and blood yet? When you did the test at the gym, they wouldn't have let you carry on if they worried. My heart beat sores when I go to have my blood pressure taken and doesn't come back down until I'm finished! My nurse says hers is always around 100beats per minute, and that is ok. We are all different and like I have said before, 'we' are too aware of what our body throws at us and notice everything it does, whereas other people just dismiss it. I constantly ask people if they have the fluttering feelings in their chests, because I can't understand how they wouldn't notice it, but people who I know who aren't anxious never say they have noticed it like I do and others who have anxiety.

I think you should stick with the gym, because getting fit and especially doing cardio work, will benefit your heart. So long as you have been checked out, I'm sure you will be fine. I need to motivate myself and get fit too. I get out of breathe quickly with any exercise and I am sure it is because I am so unfit!
    Take care,
    Linda.x

hello TT,

As Linda says, it is just the anxiety that it causing this. The more you go to the gym, the more comfortable you will feel there and the lower your blood pressure and heartbeat will drop. Please try not to worry about it - just relax and try to have a good time..

Sarah

Thank you to both of you,
    I went this morning and my heart was fast when I got there but stuck
    it out and was able to operate normal again.
    Thanks for the push!
    TT[8D][^]

TT

128 over 76 is absolutley fine. A good benchmark is 120 over 70, or so I am told (that is really healthy) - my last bp check came out at 145 over 104 which is a 'bit high' but I was told not to worry (I also suffer with White Coat Syndrome). My doctor even said she would take it again when I went to see her a few days later, coz she said it would still be high because I am worrying about it. I too am like you, I worry about the rate my heart is beating. But you have to keep in mind that in order to get fit and healthy you have to get your heart rate up for about 20 mins and then keep it there (and push a bit more, if you can), for at least another 20 mins, a few times a week. Honest you sound absolutely fine to me, but ask your nurse or doctor if you are at all worried, and they will reassure you.

Beeny

I also meant to say that I read BP actually comes down during physical exercise - as I understood it - although the heart is pumping the blood faster and harder, the blood does not hit the arterial walls as hard, therefore bp has dropped. I think thats what it meant anyway - anyone reading in the know can correct me here!!!

As far as you comparing your heart rate against your friends, I would imagine it means that your friend is a bit fitter than you, thats all. After you've been going a while your heart rate will be a bit slower and it will recover a lot quicker.

Okay me darlin'

Beeny

Thread Information