Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Kinda Tools Do You Use?

What Kinda Tools Do You Use?

What kinda tools do you use, for bad intrusive thoughts? To help regain your mind back to normal state?

I have anxiety and OCD, my anxiety worries about a situation. And then my OCD grabs ahold of it and replays it like a record player and makes me miserable.

What helps you when these situations come about! Thanks have a great day!

Re: What Kinda Tools Do You Use?

Best thing to help you is distraction, in my opinion. Usually when I used to have OCD attacks (Don't have them at this point), I would go watch an interesting movie, play a game, talk to someone or anything to forget about it. Also educating yourself about OCD and understanding how it works and why you have it helps a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by viking111 View Post
    Best thing to help you is distraction, in my opinion. Usually when I used to have OCD attacks (Don't have them at this point), I would go watch an interesting movie, play a game, talk to someone or anything to forget about it. Also educating yourself about OCD and understanding how it works and why you have it helps a lot too.
    Thank you sir for writing I'll look into that

Bump

Could really use other peoples ideas and ways they cope with these situations.

What kinda tools do you use, for bad intrusive thoughts?
    There are no tools.

Simple acceptance. Intrusive thoughts are not worthy of tools or gimmicks. That gives them importance.

The best way to deal with them is quite simply "the art of not giving a ****" and stopping taking your thoughts and yourself so seriously.

I do something that I find works very well, at least as far as I am concerned. Whenever I'm in a bad loop with obsessive iterations, I think like: what would I think and how would I behave if I did not give a shit about it? And then I play as if I was that guy who does not give a damn about the problem at hand. When I mean I play, it doen't mean I act as if for other to see, I play it in my mind only and try to stick to it. As an example, let's imagine I'm petrified with anxiety about say a health issue. If I think ´what would the dude that is not giving a goat's dump do or think in my place' and the answer is ´he'd head out for a beer with friends' that's exactly what I'd do.
    It works.

I've been dealing with mine for a while now, and honestly the best thing that has helped me so far was actually having a mental/emotional breakdown about it where I was just furious and frustrated and fed up with not being able to eat out or go out and do things. After that, I became a lot braver and started powering through things even if I was uncomfortable.

Another thing I tried, though very briefly, was keeping a journal/log. Since my OCD is associated with a fear of there being drugs in my food, I had several sections: what I ate that day and how difficult it was to do so, how I felt emotionally/my mood, and then any remarkable (positive or negative) occurrences, i.e. one day I felt really good the whole day and didn't struggle very much.

A final tool, enforced by my partner, is that if you have an episode or you miss an event or just have a bad moment, to move on from it rather than give yourself a hard time about it so it doesn't give you a negative association or bad memory.

Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk!

Best thing to do is really just let them be there, trying to find solution to them is impossible as they themselves are not real and are just thoughts which you cannot fix. Once you stop obsessing over them, anxiety will slowly decrease and you will feel fine again. Trust me, I've been in a single obsession for 3 months and it was terrible, until I gradually stopped giving a f*** about them and they slowly went away.

My favourite thread of the day.

Some fantastic answers here Civics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information