Thread: First white tongue now dark pink tongue

First white tongue now dark pink tongue

At first I was very worried about my white tongue. Now it is no longer white but now dark pink, almost purple. And I am worried even more and I am even more anxious than before.

Re: First white tongue now dark pink tongue

Quote Originally Posted by drronnie View Post
    At first I was very worried about my white tongue. Now it is no longer white but now dark pink, almost purple. And I am worried even more and I am even more anxious than before.
    There is a condition called Glossitis caused by iron deficiency/anaemia. It causes your tongue to start out with a pale colouring, then it proceeds to become dark pink with shiney patches.

Have you had a blood test to check your iron levels? My tongue stays permanently whitey with dark pink edges. Thats due to iron deficiency. Might be worth checking out. x

Thank you for your post. Is iron deficiency anything serious?

Thank you for your post. Is iron deficiency anything serious?
    Like most deficiencies, the longer you leave it determines how serious it gets

It's very easily treated though, so get down to the docs, get tested and you will most likely get put on Vitamin C (helps your body absorb iron more effectivly) and iron suppliments

Once done you should eat more food that contain iron, this is where Dr Google actually becomes useful..

Good luck

Maybe its becuase you are so anxious that your tongue is purple?

Maybe your mouth was dry to begin with but it isnt now , maybe you were dehydrated for a bit and now your okay? But cos your anxious you tongue is feeling the effects of a kind of hyperventilation thing?

I wouldnt worry about it. I always thought the the tongue connection with anemia was with pernicous anemia and im quite sure thare are heaps more symptoms that you would be bothered about well before the tongue thing.

I think you sould check with doc if you are worried about your tongue but i wouldnt assume there are any probs with blood unless doc thinks so.

Hope your okay

Lisa
    xxxx
    Last edited by LisaLisa; 14-08-09 at 11:05.

my tongue atm is constantly white coated cos i dont drink or eat enough id be much happier if it was pink

Lisa, any form of anaemia can cause things to happen to your tongue. I am not anaemic, nor do i have pernicious anaemia. I am just deficient and it causes your tongue to be a peculiar colour. Iron deficiency isnt so bad but anaemia should be checked as it can cause persistent annoying symptoms. With me, my tongue changing colour was the first thing to happen, unlike your suggestion that many things would occur first. It angers me that doctors do not routinely check for this.

Thank goodness, the tongue has turned from purple to light pink. I am a bit relieved now. I try telling myself that the darkening of the tongue is because of the seaweed I ate on Wednesday. The bad thing is now that every time my tongue color changes I freak out and become anxious without any reason.

It just sucks.

Thank goodness, the tongue has turned from purple to light pink. I am a bit relieved now. I try telling myself that the darkening of the tongue is because of the seaweed I ate on Wednesday. The bad thing is now that every time my tongue color changes I freak out and become anxious without any reason.

It just sucks.

I agree, tongue checking sucks. I have been doing this quite a bit because it fits well into my paranoid delusions about ilness

The fact that it changed means its normal. Mine changes all the time and I think that you can safely say its never gonna to change so much that you need to check it!

I never ever ever used to check my tongue and hey it could have been all manner of colours and i wouldnt have cared or noticed!! TONGUE CHECKING must stop lol

Hope your okay sweetie

Lisa
    xxx

Thread Information