Thread: popping below left rib cage... HELP!

popping below left rib cage... HELP!

HI.. im extreamly deprest at the moment and in the last 4 weeks ive been convinced iv had Leukimia, Testical Cancer and now i think stomach or lung cancer is out to get me ????

I cant recal exactly how long this has been happening for, could be a long time but now im starting to focus on it... When lying in bed or leaning to the left hand side i occasionly get like a popping sensation in my bottom left ribs, i think! and after messing about with it a lot , when i lie a certain way i can make this hing pop by pressing on it, almost like when you take a lid of a jam jar and it has that thing on the top of it that pops down when you press on it it and then pops out on its own, that exactly what i am feeling, however when i stand up or sit up i cant make this happen, its not painfull when i do it, it just feels weird. Anyone else have this feeling, i often get a dull pain in the same area can last a couple of days and other times cant feel anything. HELP ME?

Re: popping below left rib cage... HELP!

The popping is probably a bit of cartilage or muscle fibre moving.

The dull ache is possibly a bit of IBS pain in the top of your large intestine.

thanks for your reply, i thought the two maybe related? im by far doubled over in pain more like a light pinching pain, and sometimes can get a little sharp, not enuff for me to start screaming in agony if you understand me

If it doesn't hurt when you get the popping sound then they are probably not connected.

Best not to worry about aches and pains in your body. I know that I can't trust any of the feelings I get in my body anymore, I don't know what is real and what is imagined. I'm trying just to get on and ignore it all.

Hey!! I also have this! I freaked out when i first felt it but i asked my cousin (who's a nurse) and she said its just a piece of cartilage popping and is nothing to worry about!

It's so strange though!
    Hope your minds at rest xxxx

I have this and have been looking for an answer!!

Question Re: popping below left rib cage... HELP!

I have the same thing too - if I do so much as sneeze my lower right rib cage pops. If I poke at my lower ribs I can make it click. And of course I'm majorly worried about it... I'm hoping it's somewhat minor like slipped rib syndrome - that's what comes up when I Google it... Any thoughts?

I have the shifting/popping left rib occasionally too.

Honestly, the rib cage, sternum and surrounding areas are literally packed with connective tissues and pieces of flexible cartilage that are there in order to allow your chest to bend and flex and contract properly. Occasionally these tissues move around slightly or in certain positions (like laying or sitting down or slouching etc) may rub against other bits of cartilage or bone and produce that popping sensation. I have experienced it myself for periods of time and then at some point things shift again and it stops. I really think this is perfectly normal and something that lots of people experience occasionally. I don't think it anything to worry about - especially if it is just a sensation and there is no actual pain.

If there were pain, then I would be more concerned but otherwise it is probably just your body, trying to make room for all its amazing contents

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    I have the same thing too - if I do so much as sneeze my lower right rib cage pops. If I poke at my lower ribs I can make it click. And of course I'm majorly worried about it... I'm hoping it's somewhat minor like slipped rib syndrome - that's what comes up when I Google it... Any thoughts?
    A quick look around at various sites all suggest that slipping rob syndrome causes chronic pain. Not just "popping". See my reply above

I have this exact same condition. I've never seen it worded in such a way that so accurately describes the feeling.

For me, the "jam lid" popping just below the left side of my ribcage started in 2008, so it's been happening for 9 years. During that time, it has increasingly turned into a dull ache that makes its way around to my back and up to my shoulder.

The shoulder sometimes clicks in a way similar to the rib also. It feels "loose" - it has come out of its socket a few times in inexplicable ways.

Has anybody figured out what this is or how to treat it?

Thread Information