Thread: Anxiety and IBS-D

Anxiety and IBS-D

I have irritable bowel syndrom diarrhea mostly, I am frightened to go out in case I need the toilet in a hurry and cant make it there in time. Because the ibs gives me urgency with the bowel movements. I stay at home a lot and getting very stressed out and panic if i have to go out incase of a toilet accident, which of course worrying about it usually makes me go more. I listen to hypnotherapy cds and have cbt for the anxiety and am on mirtazapine and buspar for the anxiety. I wish I could go out more and not let it worry me, but it would be awful if i could not make it to the toilet in time, any one any advice as to deal with this problem. ? I take imodium for the ibs-d which helps a bit.

Re: Anxiety and IBS-D

Hi Cherrypie

I'm afraid I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I know what you are going through.

I have the same issues with panicking about not being able to get to a loo on time and it has made me agoraphobic. When I do go out I have to know exactly where all the toilets are going to be and make sure I am never 5 minutes away.

The day before my wedding I was at the church for the rehearsal and the vicar told me the toilet would be locked the next day and we wouldn't be able to use it. Was up the whole night worrying about it and then panicked most of the way through the service!

I guess what keeps me going is knowing nothing bad has happened yet. I have started taking imodium on long car journeys but am trying to limit it to "special occasions" because I don't want to rely on it. How often do you take it?

Anyway - sorry I can't help, but just wanted to say I understand!

Sam

Thread Information