Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey for anxiety/depression

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Honey for anxiety/depression

Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that eating honey can be good for alleviating anxiety and depression.

I would like to hear from anybody who has tried this.

Thanks.

Re: Honey for anxiety/depression

hi

havent heard this before about helping anxiety and depression .............but could be ............know it is very good for wound healing and general immune system boosting .think clinical trials have been done on this

It seems the best is Manuka Honey....dearer but very effective I am told.

my old mum took a spoonful of honey every day for years ...........for general health and particularly colds and flu . stirred into drinks when I was a kid.
    it has a long history .
    interested to know how you get on

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the posts above when I read them prompted me to start taking honey. This is because I had also read of its supposed health benefits, that it might help with my hayfever (as it is, my antidepressant medication has cured that due to an unexpected but welcome antihistamine side effect!) and on the basis, well it's honey it can't do any harm!

What I have been taken is called "Super Honey" and is a mix of normal honey and some strong antiseptic honey from somewhere or other. I have been taking a very bulging desert spoon per day, dissolved into a very large glass of hot white tea (Chinese tea, a bit like green tea).

Here are my thoughts...

The first time I took a dose I did feel a bit odd 30 minutes later. I thought this was strange as it's honey, not a drug. I just put this down to having a sharp ingestion of sugar or calories - remember this was dissolved in a hot drink so probably got into my system quite quick.

A couple of days after I started this I had some nauseous feelings in the evenings. I noted this in my mood diary and mentioned it to a friend as I had no idea what it was. In fact I was worried it might be a long delayed side effect of my actual antidepressants. My friend asked me if I'd changed diet or medications and I joked "No, the only change is I take a large spoon of honey each day". Then I thought, er, what if there is a link?

Now my friend said I should stop taking it but my argument was this: If I was feeling a little crap this could be a good sign, not a bad sign. It could indicate there was something in the honey that was actually strong enough to have an effect on my body, and like a medicine there was a period of side effects first.

So I stuck with it and a week after that these symptoms passed.

It is now day 23 - three weeks - and I have to say I feel brilliant. The anxious edge that life can have has gone. I had a particularly challenging experience last week that would have traumatised most people and I sailed through it. My mood has stabilised and I'm feeling on top of the world.

The best way I can describe this is I am starting to feel "normal" again.

Now, is this all linked to the honey? I am the world's biggest skeptic and will look for ways to debunk this. Namely:

1. My mood chart which I have been running for a year now shows numerous periods where my mood went up and stayed up, for long periods, without any apparent cause. So it could be coincidence.
    2. I am now well into a long term course of Mirtazapine.
    3. I do so much exercise now that must be having a real effect on my mind and mood.
    4. It could be 100% placebo effect.

But I do feel less anxious. It's mild - subtle - but there.

I'd really like to hear other people's experiences with this or any links to any actual real world accounts of taking honey daily and how it helped people.

Is there anyone here who would be willing to take a desert spoon or tablespoon of honey each day for three weeks and see what it does?

Thanks for reading.

A fascinating detailed post Ingenious, thanks for that!

I've been thinking about pure organic coconut oil for similar reasons - plus it's anti-fungal, and I think I have a candida overgrowth (not thrush - the other meaning from alternative medicine). That nauseous feeling is absolutely what I've read about with people starting to take the coconut oil, so you might be spot on there!

I've been long interested in the medical benefits of honey too, and I understand the good stuff (especially raw honey - i.e. unheated, pure, unpasteurised, unprocessed) is also anti-fungal, so I'm game for trying it for a few weeks to see how I get on

I don't believe the supermarket stuff has any significant health benefits, so I'd pick up some Manuka from the health store later this week (might as well go for the very best!)

Where do you get yours from?

(Things are busy so if you post here but I don't reply then please PM me as a reminder!)
    Last edited by eight days a week; 25-07-11 at 22:16.

Manuka - that's the one. Unfortunately it can cost up to £15 a jar depending on strength but the one I'm on is called "Supahoney" and is half normal honey and half Manuka - supposed to ease you into the strong taste of Manuka but more importantly Tesco sell it and it's a lot cheaper This is it (hope it's OK to post a link):

http://www.rowsehoney.co.uk/our-prod...ange=supahoney

Like you I wanted to stay away from standard supermarket stuff but Tesco also sell the various Manuka honeys from Rowse too. I did think about the pure Manuka but it's just a bit too pricey for me really.

Cheers for the link!

That stuff looks good, I'll check it out next time I'm in Tesco

Until then it's easier for me to get to the health store and get some Manuka. I'm not too worried about the taste as I think the way I'd like to take it is with hot water and slices of lemon (good for cleansing the system) in the morning, so it'll be very diluted.

Cost - if I'm getting the pure stuff I'll just take half the amount you did

So, you have a test-buddy if you want (but you might have to PM me like I said to remind me - lots on right now!!)
    Last edited by eight days a week; 25-07-11 at 22:01.

really interested in this

keep us posted ...........trials were done for wound healing in the health sector which were very promising ..know it isnt relevant here .......but think this may have excellent benefits for general well being . [trots off to well known super store tomorrow and will let you know how I get on in time ] xx

Well I was in the 'other' supermarket tonight, and Manuka (the same brand) is a few quid cheaper than in the health food shops, so I grabbed some...

They didn't actually have the half'n'half, so I took the plunge and went for the factor 15+

It says take 25g in a cup of warm water, but I'll start off with 10ml I think and see how I go

Quote Originally Posted by eight days a week View Post
    Well I was in the 'other' supermarket tonight, and Manuka (the same brand) is a few quid cheaper than in the health food shops, so I grabbed some...

They didn't actually have the half'n'half, so I took the plunge and went for the factor 15+

It says take 25g in a cup of warm water, but I'll start off with 10ml I think and see how I go
    Excellent, do keep us informed how you get on. I'm not sure what volume I take other than it's a very bulging desert spoon of the 50/50 honey as I mentioned above. I take mine dissolved into chinese tea (I add the honey after it has brewed, so the water is very warm but not boiling hot).

It will be interesting to know whether you feel anything, nothing, better or worse.

I've been reading in a few places that heat destroys some of the good properties of the honey so that's why they say use warm water not hot.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information