Thread: Lexapro Tapering

Lexapro Tapering

Hey Guys - been a while...

So, I have been on Lexapro for about 2.5 years now (recently read the thread where I was afraid to start. Crazy pants). Anyway, after a lot of introspection I've decided to eliminate drugs completely. This includes the Lexapro, Klonopin (which I take very occasionally anyway) and marijuana. Additionally, even though I've been diagnosed with Celiac disease for 2 years, it isn't until recently I've finally committed to a gluten free diet. I am trying to make as many natural changes as possible. I've gone back to talk therapy, using vitamins and supplements and CBT therapy (as best I can).

So - this bring me to getting off the Lexapro. My doc said to immediately cut my 20mg dose to 10mg for one month and then 5mg for one week and then stop. This didn't seem to jive with a ton of literature I've read, and while I have great trust in my doc, I decided to do things a tad slower.

My plan: 15mg for 15 days, 10mg for 15 days, 5mg for 15 days, 5mg alternating with 0mg every other day for 15 days and then stop.

Now, I've read that the alternating idea might be bad. Depriving and then rewarding my brain might lead to further complications, so now I am doubting the alternating days and think maybe it's best to for from 5mg to 0mg after 15 days. I've also read that the final taper, the 5mg to 0mg is the hardest of the bunch.

What are your experiences? I'm 12 days into the first taper (20mg to 15mg) and things haven't been exactly pleasant, but not horrific either. I have that crazy head pressure/brain fog, get some mild nausea at night, anxiety seems to rebound on me in the evenings/bedtime. I've tried not to use klonopin to relax/sleep, but have maybe used it three times since I've started to sleep (.5mg x3 over 12 days). So compounding my anxiety is my fear that I will develop dependence to the klonopin (have waited at least 60-72 hours between doses).

I'm managing, but this is just the beginning - or is this basically what I can expect the rest of the way? If my taper is by the same amount each 15 days, will I just repeat my current symptoms until I'm done? Will it be much worse once I stop altogether?

I think I'm tapering appropriately (certainly slower than my doc suggested); but having just experienced a brief but horrific opiate withdrawal, I'm not sure how much fight is left in me.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Stay the course? Should I prepare for something worse on the horizon? I know this is covered all over the internet, but I just want some concise responses to my specific situation. Thanks team!

Re: Lexapro Tapering

Quote Originally Posted by Brackett View Post
    This includes the Lexapro, Klonopin (which I take very occasionally anyway) and marijuana

...I am trying to make as many natural changes as possible.
    Hopefully, that will include dumping the marijuana!!

This didn't seem to jive with a ton of literature I've read,
    That may have been a mistake. Withdrawal isn't just about chemistry and biology. Psychology is at least as important. Become convinced you will suffer greatly and an anxious mind may well deliver the whole catastrophe for you, in Widescreen Technicolor with Dolby Surround Sound. :(

My plan: 15mg for 15 days, 10mg for 15 days, 5mg for 15 days, 5mg alternating with 0mg every other day for 15 days and then stop.
    It's as good as any other, but then I don't necessarily disagree with your doctor's. Most people do not have the horrendous withdrawal issues Dr Google would have us believe.

Yes - pretty sure I said I was losing the lexapro, klonopin AND pot...

Anyway, I do agree with the fact that the anxious mind could amplify a lot of the side effects - no doubt. But I also want to ensure I'm making as educated a decision as possible, having not done that when deciding to take the medication in the first place.

Dr. Google isn't wrong here. To suggest there are minor or no effects is totally counterproductive. Certainly some, even many, are able to taper and stop without much issue. But there is likely an equal number of people who do suffer from some of the withdrawal effects and find it necessary to formulate a plan to make the process as comfortable as possible.

I don't necessarily think my doctor is wrong, it's just personal preference to be taking things a little slower - if for no other reason than to calm my anxiety about the whole situation - though, having experienced SOME of the unpleasant effects, I'm glad I didn't jump the gun.

Hey! Just wondering how you are doing with the lexapro taper? I've currently been tapering for 6 months after 8 years of AD use. I'm only 30- the stuff on the internet is SCARY!! I'm at 3mg currently and I can't find anyone who successfully got off with as long as I've been on. Just wondering how you are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by This2shallpass View Post
    the stuff on the internet is SCARY!! I'm at 3mg currently and I can't find anyone who successfully got off with as long as I've been on.
    99.9% of the scary stuff is BS. Possibly well meaning BS, but BS nevertheless. Withdrawal is at least as much about psychology as chemistry and biology. Become convinced you will suffer greatly when quitting and an anxious mind is quite capable of creating your worst nightmare.

The other issue is that often what are perceived as withdrawal symptoms are really the return of the underlying disorder.

Glad to fill you in...

When I dropped from 20mg to 15mg the first two days was like nothing happened. From days 3-7 I had TERRIBLE brain fog, manageable nausea, some really tough insomnia and just a general feeling of feeling unwell with no appetite. By day 8, most of everything subsided and I was totally fine through day 15, or at least I have no complaints.

When I dropped from 15mg to 10mg, nothing happened. Had no symptoms whatsoever. Was a total breeze.

From 10mg to 5mg (currently on day 3 of this), I was fine for the first two days, but today I am back to feeling the exact same symptoms as the first drop, minus the nausea and we have wait to see if the insomnia returns.

Given all the horror stories, it has been totally manageable. On the worst day, I wouldn't say that I couldn't handle it. Now, I have the privilege of working at my leisure from home, so I could basically take time off life to deal with the harder days, but (for me) it's NOTHING like what I've read.

I've been taking Fish Oil, Magnesium and a Multi - no idea if that's had any impact or not, started taking them a little before I decided to ween off, so maybe that's helped? All in all, I would say it can TOTALLY be done and even though it sucks right now, Iv'e already gone through similar symptoms at the beginning and am confident that in another 10 days I will be off the drugs (and that may cause another dip) - but I'm so so so close.

Peace.

Thread Information