View Poll Results: What antidepressant classes are least prone to cause zombification & sexual problems?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)

0 0%
  • Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)

2 50.00%
  • Serotonin modulator and stimulators (SMSs) | e.g.: vortioxetine, vilazodone

0 0%
  • Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors (SARIs) | e.g.: Trazodone Nefazodone

1 25.00%
  • Norepinephrine [dopamine] reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs, NRIs or NERIs) | e.g.: Reboxetine, Bupropion

2 50.00%
  • Tricyclic antidepressants

1 25.00%
  • Atypical TCAs | e.g.: Opipramol, Tianeptine

0 0%
  • Tetracyclic antidepressants | NaSSAs | e.g.: Mirtazapine, Mianserin, Maprotiline

2 50.00%
  • Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)

0 0%
  • Atypical antipsychotics | Buspirone etc.

0 0%
  • Others | e.g.: Agomelatine, Ketamine, Tryptophan, St. John's Wort, Lithium, T3/T4 etc.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and zombification

Arrow Re: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy

All my wisdom teeth are finally out

I've had an appointment with my psychiatrist and we agreed on that I will take 50mg of Sertraline for another month or so and if the side effects (mainy insomnia and appetite loss) haven't subsided by then, we will try augmenting it with either Mirtazapine or Trazodone or alternatively try another standalone med...

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    These usually diminish after a few weeks.
    Well, the waiting game continues...

The less experienced GPs prefer SSRIs/SNRIs because most are safer in overdose, whereas psychiatrists appreciate the greater efficacy of TCAs and are less spooked by the black box warnings.

Amitriptyline is a little weaker than clomipramine, which is arguably the most potent non MAOI antidepressant, but is more sedating which may be beneficial in your case.
    Indeed.
    Clomipramine is top-notch when it comes to efficiency, but Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline are also quite interesting. Nortriptyline has an overall better side effect profile.

Sure. The main reason I suggested the trazodone as a sleep aid is its shorter half-life, about 3-4 hours compared to 20-40 for mirtazapine, so you're much less likely to be sedated during the day.
    Trazodone is definitely an interesing AD & sleep-aid and it doesn't poop-out as often as Mirtazapine. Nice one.

They finally used up all the ex WW2 rocket fuel stocks, huh?
    That what has been left by Werner von Braun

Re: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Duckbruck View Post
    ve had an appointment with my psychiatrist and we agreed on that I will take 50mg of Sertraline for another month or so and if the side effects (mainy insomnia and appetite loss) haven't subsided by then
    You may find that these would lessen if the dose was increased. It sounds counter-intuitive, but often works, possibly because sometimes 50mg isn't quite enough to trigger the reduction in serotonin synthesis and expression which reverses the initial SSRI increase in serotonin activity.

Thumbs up Re: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy

You may find that these would lessen if the dose was increased. It sounds counter-intuitive, but often works, possibly because sometimes 50mg isn't quite enough to trigger the reduction in serotonin synthesis and expression which reverses the initial SSRI increase in serotonin activity.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I will have it raised to 75mg.

I am beginning to like that Setraline stuff
    self-confidence is at an all time high, even been impulsive the last few days and positively aggressive.

nonetheless, lack of appetite and moderate insomnia is still a problem. (61kg @ 5'9'')
    EDIT: And I am a little bit agitated, whipping up and down on my chair ^^
    Last edited by Duckbruck; 28-05-17 at 16:47.

even been impulsive the last few days and positively aggressive.
    You will need to watch this if it continues as it can sometimes lead to dangerous activity. Dr Google will have us believe SSRIs increase brain serotonin levels. They don't they actually reduce them after a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, this may trigger an increase in impulsiveness, and especially aggressiveness. For example, genetically modified mice lacking an enzyme to make serotonin are not only much less anxious, but much more aggressive than the controls.

Wink Re: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy

You will need to watch this if it continues as it can sometimes lead to dangerous activity.
    I will. I was worried myself, because I've read of people running AMOK on SSRIs
    So hoping right now that I do not go nuts ^^

Question Re: antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy

Is the "feverish" feeling a normal side effect under Sertraline? It coincides with my hot flashes... it makes me feel somewhat sick.

I was worried myself, because I've read of people running AMOK on SSRIs
    So hoping right now that I do not go nuts ^^
    99.9% of what you've read is probably male bovine manure. Most of it originates from one country where some are desperate to divert attention away from the real causes of "people running AMOK."

Is the "feverish" feeling a normal side effect under Sertraline? It coincides with my hot flashes... it makes me feel somewhat sick.
    It can be a SSRI side-effect. Are you on any other medication, or supplements?

It can be a SSRI side-effect. Are you on any other medication, or supplements?
    No, just the Sertraline.

But a week ago I've been taking Amoxicillin, Omeprazole and Ibuprofen because of my wisdom teeth extraction.

No, just the Sertraline.
    Cool. Then you don't have any potential drug-drug interactions. The other meds would be effectively out of your system by now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information