Thread: Sleep not improved on zopiclone? Poss due to anxiety? Help!

Sleep not improved on zopiclone? Poss due to anxiety? Help!

Hi everyone,

I was recently prescribed 3.75mg zipoclone after 1 - 2 months of severe insomnia (some nights I wasn't getting ANY sleep and averaged 3-5 on a good one). I know it is caused by my horrible, relentless job, a bully of a boss and the fact that I'm getting married in 3 months (all of it together is just too much!). I am planning on leaving my job, but not until after the wedding as I don't want too much on my plate. But even just thinking of one more day is too much at times.

Anyway, my psychiatrist recommended I take one 3.75mg pill for four nights in a row, and then two half tablets in a row, as this would apparently help to reset my internal clock. Apart from Friday night where I slept in until mid-day and could have quite frankly kept going if I hadn't made myself get up, I'm still not sleeping well even with the meds. I take a pill at 10 pm, but I often don't crash out until 1 or 2 am, and then I often wake up frequently and always about an hour before my alarm goes off. It is vast improvement on no sleep, but I still feel like death on that amount.

The trouble is, I do get nervous about taking sleeping pills and I often go through an initial anxiety when I swallow it which can't help (I don't like losing control!). I'm worried about getting dependent, then I'm worried about not sleeping, then I worry about being trapped in my job forever and how on earth I will keep on going with such little sleep... you know the cycle! I'm actually wondering if I may sleep better without the zipoclone now, or possibly a different drug?? (I just hate taking them at all to be honest). It's so confusing and so frustrating.

Anyway, sorry to go on. I just don't have anyone to talk to about this, have to put on a shiny, happy face at work everyday, and even just typing this out is making me feel better.

Love to all. x

Re: Sleep not improved on zopiclone? Poss due to anxiety? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClop View Post
    Anyway, my psychiatrist recommended I take one 3.75mg pill for four nights in a row, and then two half tablets in a row

...I'm still not sleeping well even with the meds. I take a pill at 10 pm, but I often don't crash out until 1 or 2 am, and then I often wake up frequently and always about an hour before my alarm goes off.
    The recommended adult dose for insomnia is 7.5mg.

I'm worried about getting dependent
    The 'Z' class hypnotics shouldn't be taken for more than 2-3 weeks, but tolerance to their sedating effects often builds about that quickly so it can be pointless taking them for longer anyway. Not taking them for a couple of days per week may extend their useful life a bit and also delay the onset of dependence.

Thread Information