Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein in urine dipstick test

Protein in urine dipstick test

Please can anyone reassure me who's had experience of this result. I went along to give a sample to check for a UTI, and the nurse said there was no blood but there was some protein present. She's sent it off for the lab to check. I hadn't googled at that point, so didn't freak; especially as she said it could be due to vaginal secretions in the sample. I've googled since (SO STUPID). YIKES!!! Protein in urine can be due to some scary causes.

Has anyone had this? Any knowhow to get me through the weekend?

Re: Protein in urine dipstick test

Hi,

Many people have protein in their urine and don't even know it, so please try not to worry! Protein can be evident with some kind of inflammation or infection, but generally speaking if this was the case, there would be blood present too, particularly with things like urine/kidney infections.

Have you had any particular symptoms at all that led to suspicion of UTI?

I've had a UTI on a couple of occasions and you CERTAINLY will feel it if you have one with lots of low down abdo pain, back pain around the kidney area and pain when passing urine. I had blood and protein and leucocytes in my urine test. After a bout of antibiotics all was fine.

Please, please don't worry. I'm a nurse and every other person whose wee we dipstick test has a bit of protein present so it is doubtless nothing serious.

Hope this helps and take care.xxxx
    Last edited by debs71; 17-09-10 at 17:44.

Ive had protein in my urine 3 times .All mine were due to an infection and were sucessfully treated with antibiotics .If you havnt been given any it obviously wasnt too bad ,maybe a trace element present .Drink plenty of water this will help flush it out .Most cases are due to uti ,s ..They send the tests off to check what sort of infection it is .Nothing to get unduly anxious over please believe me ..T/c Sue x

Thank you so much Debs71 and Suzy-Sue! This is exactly the knowledge and experience I was hoping to get from this wonderful forum!

Debs, I had a nasty UTI two months ago and have been anxious about getting another and the potential causes (insert rolling eyes and withholding the c-word). Every now and then since I've half convinced myself I'm getting urinary frequency etc etc and then find it goes away when I'm not brooding on it. This time I decided to go for a dipstick test thinking that would be the end of the matter....sh'yeah right, lol!

I've no pain, just this lingering feeling of 'do-I/do-I-not' need to go to the loo. I hope that makes sense!

Thank you both again!
    Last edited by Helen1973; 17-09-10 at 18:58.

Helen, that totally makes sense.

The body is a funny and VERY annoying thing sometimes the way it reacts to our emotions and worries. If only be could disconnect the head from the body when required as it causes so many concerns!

That may explain your urine frequency Helen, or your perception of it as you will find you go to the loo more often if your nerves are jangled or you are stressing out, which in turn makes you worry about a UTI and so it goes on, but when you are more relaxed, hey presto, you need the loo less, so worry less.

As I say, it is so annoying and I can relate!!

xxxx

When my HA was as its worst I would read a list of symptoms I've been afraid of and subsequently develop them--embarrassing! I eventually avoided any and all descriptions of symptoms just in case *g*

The human mind can do amazing, and terrifying, things! God bless and thanks again!

Hopefully the protein will turn out to be from vaginal secretions *prays*

I have had blood and protein in the urine on numerous occasions and when they re-checked it there was nothing!

I think this happens a lot

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I have had blood and protein in the urine on numerous occasions and when they re-checked it there was nothing!

I think this happens a lot
    Very probably! I hope this turns out to be the case this time too *g* Thanks for the post, Nic! I do feel so much better now and when I start to fret I'm going to reread this thread. My weekend talisman to battle back my HA

I dont know if this will help, but since i can remember, when i was pregnant and also after i have always had protein in my urine samples.. apparently according to my doctor that is just "me" in general xxx

I have what they call leaky kidneys - they work perfectly well but they I have big filters on them that let things through hence the leak bit. I leak trace amounts of blood and protein and things all the time so cannot every get through a dip stick test without it being sent off to lab no matter how much I explain that I have had this result every since dip sticks were invented.

Obviously it makes sense to check for infections or kidney/bladder problems if you keep getting blood in dip stick test results but if you don't have blood then its unlikely to be anything significant.

I dread the routine bring a urine sample instructions or if I have ended up in a and e because they never believe me about my leaky kidneys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information