Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Scared

Really Scared

Hi this is my first post here so apologies if it is a little long

By way of background - about 7 weeks ago - I found a couple of what I assumed were swollen lymph nodes in my neck - they appeared just after I had had a cold so I wasn't overly worried at first. After a couple of weeks I went to my gp who didn't seem too worried eithers. She said to keep an eye and to come back if they didn't go away in a few weeks and she would do a blood test. This was in early Jan. They are still there but haven't gotten any bigger so I made an appointment to go back to the doc later this week. They are about the size of a pea, movable and not rock hard.

Anyway, yesterday I was overjoyed to find out that I am pregnant and expecting my first baby. Really happy but still conscious of the lymph nodes not going away.

Then today to my horror I was scratching around my shoulder area when I found a small pea sized lump around my collarbone - it is very movable and feels quite rubbery.

I am now convinced and terrified that I have lymphoma - I have gone from the height of joy with my positive pregnancy test to the depths of despair. I feel sick with panic - please help

Thanks
    Last edited by shellie1; 02-02-10 at 20:38.

Re: Really Scared

Please help - I am actually making myself physically sick with anxiety

Hello Shellie :3
    First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm sure you will have a really happy family
    The brain is a real powerful thing. If you keep thinking about these simptoms, eventually your brain will make you think you really have something. But you just have to know that this is all your anxiety! The more you worry about it, more anxiety you'll feel, and then you get these bad thoughs. Try to distract with something you really love, and focuse really hard on it! But if you still feel that anxiety, you could go to your doctor to get these things checked, today if you could. Once you see that nothing is wrong, you will feel a lot better

Don't worry, try to relax. Everything is going to be alright!

thanks for your reply Natalie - I know that you are right and I think a combination of your brain working overtime and the internet is a recipe for disaster. I was relatively unconcerned about the original swollen nodes until today when I found the one above my collarbone and that sent me into anxiety overdrive! It is pretty small and I would say definitely less than a cm so hopefully that is a good sign.

I guess I need to try focus on the positives and try to relax until I can see my doctor on Thursday.

Thanks again for your reply

Yes, the brain can really mess you up if you are stressed D: I know how hard it is to control that anxiety (Specially if you go to "Dr. Google" search things xD), but once you realize that it's nothing everything just feels better Try to watch a movie or read a book, and yes! the power of positive thoughs can make wonders on you. You don't have anything to worry about! And if there's anything I can do to help, I will be glad to do so

Go and get distracted! You will feel a lot better, I promise

Hi, reading your post reminds me of something I would have written.

I have been suffering with HA for over 2 years now and the Swollen Lymph Nodes in my neck was what started this whole thing off. I too had one on the back of my neck that swells up and can stay up for days and weeks at a time.

The first time I noticed it I too went to the docs and they too said nothing to worry about, however when I got home I decided to google it and my goodness that was the biggest mistake ever as I then managed to convince myself that I had cancer. That was when my HA started. I went back to the doc numerous times and it was what caused me to have my first panic attack. I just couldnt get into my head that it was nothing this went on for about 3 months on constant worry.

I now have moved on to other things, but my gland still swells up, and I do sometimes worry about it, but I have to rationalise that if it was something serious it wouldnt go back down. The doctor also told me that the more you touch it the more swollen it becomes.

I guess what I am trying to say is please please try to stop worrying about it and dont touch it as that make it swell more. I am sure that give it a few more weeks and it will go down, mine honestly can stay up for ages.

Sorry rambled on a bit.

Hope it helps.

Rachel x

Hi, Shellie,
    Best wishes on your pregnancy! What a blessing.

I noticed a small pea sized swollen gland under my chin. I had myself dead and gone. I can still feel it, and guess what? That was 30 years ago! Sometimes glands can just be felt with there being nothing wrong.

Relax and think beautiful thoughts about your baby!

Thanks so much Rachel and Natalie - its great to get some reassurance. I have my husband plagued trying to feel my lymph nodes - most of the time he can't find them which I guess shows that they are probably not too swollen.

It is amazing how powerful a tool the mind is really - you can convince yourself that you have all the symptoms of anything really.

I was so excited last night when I found out that I was pregnant and then plunged into a total mess today when I found the newest lump above my collarbone. A friend of mine developed cancer while pregnant and although she gave birth to a healthy baby (albeit v premature) she is now pretty sick and I guess that is preying on my mind too.

sorry for rambling on and thanks again guys x

Ive mentioned it before on here when someone else said the exact same thing as you but my son has 3 of these pea size lumps, actually they are more what I call petit pois! He has one just in front of his ear, one just above his adams apple, & one just under his chin. The one by his ear appeared about 3 years ago now, the other 2 more recent.
    He had blood tests done a little over a year ago, with no result to be found.
    He is 14, 15 in march. He fiddles with the lumps which drives me mad. But we have been told to leave them be. Not sure if they ever go. But they are definately nothing to worry about. x

Thanks all for your comforting replies - I will let you know how I get on with my doctor on Thursday xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information