Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ectopic heart/beats - some help

Ectopic heart/beats - some help

I have been suffering with ectopic heart beats for about 5 months. They started when I was in bed one night and appeared to be random but recently, after councelling, I have realised that there is a trigger - not always associated with how I feel at the time. I looked on a US web forum and found that most people who suffered with ectopic beats said that they were worse when dehydrated. So I experimented a little, and low and behold, if I drink more water, they are not as strong. This week I was suffering with ectopics and a tight chest and on two occasions it passed shortly after drinking a couple of glasses of water. I'm not saying this will get rid of them, altogether but it might provide some temporary assistance and it works for me.

I also read on the forum ways to stop palpitation attacks (when the heart continues to thump). The first is to cough hard 3 times and the second is to hold your nose, close your mouth and blow - as if you are clearing your ears after landing from a plane. Apparantly, this forces the lungs backwards and applies pressure to the nerve leading to the heart. I don't get attacks so I don't know if these methods work.

I agree with advice for ectopic heartbeats - I have made a concerted effort to drink more water since the homeopath advised me to do this last Thursday - and I can honestly say they have reduced noticibly. The most effective way to drink water is sipping it not gulping it - gulping it can shock your digestive system and cause your heart to over react. (So I was told anyway!)

[Wow!] I had never heard of any of those tips!!

Lol i havnt either but will try it thanks

I haven't heard of that either. I suffer with ectopic beats too so will give it a go and let you know if it works.
    Tracy
    x

Thanks for the info and I hope it helps some of those on here that suffer.

Nicola

Re: Ectopic heart/beats - some help

I am 22 and have been having them for over a year, I had a 24 hour ECG done and was told what they were, but not to worry about them. But it's still a bit disconcerting when they do happen! Thanks for the advice, will definately try it. Good to know i'm not the only one with them!

Jo

Hi folks,

I had definitly heard about the dehydration and I think thats true, I try and drink more water, I still get them however I think dehydration is definilty a trigger.

I havent tried the 'nose holding' yet however I will bear it in mind.

Thanks.

Shaz x

9. Re: Ectopic heart/beats - some help

Deep bow of thanks ... should have read this BEFORE I just went out with my therapist for the last two hours. I had a few strong THUDS (from those missed beats) and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I've had them over 25 years ... and somehow they've never gotten easier to accept.

I'll try the tips!

Hi Everyone,

It's been ages since I posted on here . . . . found myself browsing the boards to catch up with people and lo and behold on this thread I notice a reply from myself 3 years ago on ectopic beats and drinking water to inhibit them. I felt I had to come on here to give hope to people struggling with anxiety, ectopic heart beats, heart worries etc ....

3 years ago my whole life was managed around how I felt, my world was small - sometimes as small as my bed (ie couldn't get out of it as too scared) However now - I am not 'magically' cured nor do I profess to be able to do absolutely anything but time has taught me patience and acceptance.

To say I wish I had managed it all differently would be futile. However I feel I have learned a lot about myself and understanding of others who suffer in a similar way.

I was worried that I may have scarred my son for life with always 'running' away from things or just not managing to do them - Not so - we have the most wonderfully balanced, caring, confident 12 year old son. At a recent parents evening we were filled with a real joy of being told to go home and have more and fill the school with more like him! - proud parent talking and all that! Seriously - he just seems to have such an incredible insight into managing emotion and he talks to me about what I have been through when we go on our 5 mile dog walks in the countryside!

I think what I am trying to say is - I have been prompted to reflect on how my life has developed since my reply on this thread 3 years ago .. .

I am overjoyed that I can write that life has improved greatly, I am no longer on any medication, I manage my 'heart' fears rationally and enjoy living in the moment and not constantly worrying about what if? If I do feel a 'thud', or feel a sudden weakness, or get a pain 'in my heart region' or wake to a racing heart in the night etc ...I can generally rationalise it and think - been there, done that etc.

Now, for those of you where I was 3 years ago - please don't be dis-heartened and think - oh it's all right for her. I genuinely know that other peoples experiences can sometimes seem poles apart to what you are going through. My prayer for you is that you will learn acceptance and that one day you will be able to reflect positively about your whole experience.

I can honestly say that I appreciate the smaller things in life - ie being able to have the freedom to walk, shop, go to concerts, be alone because there was a time when I couldn't.

Love to all

God Bless

Dawn x
    'Hold me close, let Your love surround me, bring me near, draw me to Your side; And as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle, and I will soar with You; Your spirit leads me on, In the power of Your Love.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information