Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline - positive stories please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sertraline - positive stories please!

Hi all. I've just been put on Sertraline and badly need encouragement as I've been having a v rough time on meds. As of tomorrow I will be on Sertraline 50mg and just hope this one will help. Thanks to you all.

Re: Sertraline - positive stories please!

I'm thinking of it too so again positive reports please

Joy

I took sertraline for 7 years and it was the best antidepressant that I have tried. The most effective with the least side effects.

50mg is the starting dose. I generally stayed at 100mg as a maintenance dose, sometimes going up to 150mg for a very few weeks, and sometimes going down to 50mg. It all depends on the person. Good luck.

Lisa

Thanks so much Lisa. I am generally a v positive person but having been 'experimented on' too much this year, have lost my faith in the choice my Psych is likely to make. It doesn't help that my 91 mum with dementia is ALSO on Sertraline!! I guess I'm in good company there...

i too feel like a guinea pig with all the different meds etc i've been put thro this last two years and its my choice it seems what to try next, but the shrink at least didnt objet. doesnt it give you a lot of faith??????

Joy

Hi Joy. Yeah I just can't get my head round the hit-and-miss way they prescribe drugs now. It's like picking a number out of a hat. And you can make any suggestion you like cos it's all got to be Patient Choice! Heroin? Cocaine? Arsenic? Sure, well we can give it a go... I am so sick of this laissez faire attitude and the way the service is stretched to the limit so no health professional has the time or patience to stick with you through the ups and downs. Anyway - that's my rant over. Good Luck with yr new drug regime and I hope things get better for you! Janey

Hiya

When i was very badly depressed a few years ago i think i tried just about every anti depressant and anti psychotic medication there was.

Some anti-d's made me feel so tired all the time and i just couldnt be bothered to get up and dressed half the time and the one thing i remember about how sertraline affected me differently from other anti-d's was i suddenly felt like i had so much energy again with it. I know it probably affects everyone differently but that was my experience. At first it annoyed me cos i couldnt sit still but then i began to appreciate that effect i got from it as i felt motivated to do things whereas when i was so sleepy with others i would just stay in bed all day if i could.

Im not sure if emotionally it worked for me any better than others but certainly that effect of actually wanting to do things made me feel a bit better. I started on 100 but was still so bad i went up to 150 then a few months later was on the highest dose at 200 a day. I stayed on them for about 1 year before my doctor changed me to another medication again as he had expected big improvements after so long on the highest dose, however i really believe it was because i was still on so many other meds that i didnt improve the way he had hoped, i think it was them that held me back

I certainly dont have anything bad to say about it
    Good Luck

Emma

hi there
    After years of prozac, citralopram and mirtazipine i thought nothing could help my panic and anxiety. About 8 months ago the doc gave me sertaline at the lowest dose, and even now im still on same dose and must say i think its brill!!!!

good luck with it

luv tracie

Hi Janey, I have been on Sertraline for 1 year although it make you feel bad when you first take it, it has done wonders for me. good luck
    Lesleyb

Thanks all so much for your encouragement. I'm really struggling with insomnia at the moment and it is good to know there may eventually be a point when this drug actually does me some GOOD! I love this website - it can feel so lonely otherwise with all the angst of 'am I doing the right thing?'. Love you all - we're all such Stars!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information