Thread: My Dad - blocked artery in groin/leg area

My Dad - blocked artery in groin/leg area

Hi all

I've just wondering if anyone has any experience with themselves or family members with blocked arteries?

My Dad, who is approaching 70, has been told that he has a blocked artery possibly in his groin which is causing a painful leg and cold foot. He has to go for a hospital appointment on the 12th March and it's all I can think about right now so thought I'd ask to see if anyone had similar and what was the treatment?

He is diabetic (a bad one!) and had a TIA (mini stroke) about 6/7 years ago.

The appointment is a fair wait, so I'm guessing if there was an immediate urgency, they would have frog marched him up to the hospital there and then. He's just been told to take 30 minute walks and keep it warm.

As ever, I'm grateful for any advice. My anxiety is on the roof right now and my own health anxiety is on the rise because of it.

Thanks!

:-)

Re: My Dad - blocked artery in groin/leg area

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola :-)

I am assuming they will put a stent in to widen the artery - have they mentioned this?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola, they have kept him in the dark a bit but I assumed they would fit a stent. I know a few people who’ve had that done and made a full recovery so I’m hopeful that’s what will happen x

Sounds likely to be honest. Hope it goes ok

Stu, Do they actually know it's a bloked artery? If that's what your Dad's GP said i would take it with a pinch of salt. A&E thought i had a blocked artery i saw a vascular surgeon had a test and it wasn't.

Blocked arteries were the cause of my heart attacks. I have bypass surgery and stents placed. The stent procedure was quick and I was home in a couple of days.

How did they discover the blockage? electrocardiogram?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi @Stu1980
    Friend of mine had smth of this kind. It was a thrombus in his knee. There was a risky (high chance to lose his leg or even die) surgery in Moscow. After the surgery (they literally cut the vein) there still was a chance of sequelae. He managed it, but it was really complicated - he used to live through serious stress. Just imagine that the most powerful medicine you can take is just time...
    He was rather old at that time and now he's ~70. After that he had lived in various countries (Russia, Canada, Chile), had had some problems with excess weight, but he's still okay
    From his words, the best medicine for stress was communication with the surgeon who performed the operation. They became friends. My friend used to call that surgeon every time he felt anxiety.
    Yes, it will be difficult to make friends with your father's surgeon, but it looks like you (not him) is the person which really need this kind of therapy However, I think you can use the same template - just find someone you can talk to.

Hi All

Thanks very much for your advice and guidance on this, it's very much appreciated. I've not been on here much, dealing with my own anxiety demons but thought it would be good to post an update.

A scan showed that my dad had a blocked artery in the leg and groin areas so he's had what's known as a vascular bypass. They've taken a vein from higher up and replaced the faulty bits with this and stents.

Unfortunately the first op did not go as planned (an angiogram confirmed first op unsuccessful) so he had to go back into surgery and had another vein removed from his 'good' leg. This is rare though as apparently 95% of these go well first time. He's now on the road to recovery, just in a lot of pain. Morphine is very much helping!

Again, my thanks to you all. It's been a stressful time, especially when you have your own fear of doctors/hospitals and am spending every day there visiting. Oddly, it's helping me - almost like a bit of exposure therapy!

Thread Information