Thread: How can I stop letting people use me? Why don't I have any self worth?

How can I stop letting people use me? Why don't I have any self worth?

I am a nanny, professionally. I am not a babysitter, I am a caregiver. I take care of two small children, in fact I've helped raise them. I am with them 7:30 am- 6 pm. I am basically the Au Pair without living there. The family I take care of has 3 cousins who are 5,7 and 9. They've asked if I would watch them during certain days. Usually around 5 hours. At the end of the 5 hours they've either paid me nothing, or 20 dollars. 20 DOLLARS for 3 children? And of course I didn't say anything. Not the first time, not the second time but the 7th time. I said something. I emailed my boss today and pretty much explained that from now on I'm charging an hourly rate. I deserve this right? This is my JOB. I am not family, I am a 5 year college educated woman who knows what she's doing. AM I VALID IN THIS? ever since sending the email, I've been in FULL panic. Worried I will be fired, worried the family will hate me, etc. But why should I? I am doing them a favor!!!

Why don't I value myself, how can I stop letting others walk on me? Should I be worried?

Re: How can I stop letting people use me? Why don't I have any self worth?

What exactly are you asking? If you're in your right to ask for a specific payment? Yes obviously you are. It would depend on the wording of the email and their expectation of what you do etc on their reply.

My personal opinion on the matter from your opening is that yes you are within your right to ask for a specific payment. That being said, on the flipside, its something that should have been discussed and agreed on day 1 as otherwise its kinda moving the goalposts.

Thread Information