Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anxiety: GP wont prescribe, can I go private?

Re: Anxiety: GP wont prescribe, can I go private?

Dan - did you have to go through your GP to get a private referral? - I am the same boat with Lorazepam - never abuse them but do not get many and doctor would not increase (going through a bad patch) just wondered!

Thanks Laura

they dont understand simply imho they havent experienced it at the levels probaly most of us suffer from , they work on the basis as one would expect say if you stepped out in front of a car and got a fright .. heart races etc ..

My wife has a fear of dogs , she will walk across the road to avoid , I say to her how do you feel when you see a dog , she says my heart jumps I feel sick etc ... I say how would you feel if one would come up to you and lick your hand ... she says I would die

I look at her and say well if you can imagine that feeling sweetheart it is how I feel every waking moment except I have no where to run

hope that makes sense

and as for addiction etc to diazepam or whatever , I would rather that , than waking up in the middle of night and piling loads of paracetamol into my mouth , which I did in one instance .. and the reason why ... nothing more than a panic attack at peak when I was ignorant and so sure I was going mad.

so brings me back to .... "neurosis" rather than a "psychosis" , I dont know , piling handfuls of paracetamol certainly isnt normal is it .. Ive got a wife and three kids ... I dont want to die

and if a medication keeps me calm and normal Im fine with that

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA48 View Post
    Dan - did you have to go through your GP to get a private referral? - I am the same boat with Lorazepam - never abuse them but do not get many and doctor would not increase (going through a bad patch) just wondered!

Thanks Laura
    Hiya,

Basically the story is I was tried on citalopram amitriptyline, propranolol and prozac. The prozac made me violent etc. Referred by GP to NHS psychiatrist. She offered me CBT and refused to prescribe meds, saying she wanted to try CBT out although she hadn't ruled meds out. I was at my worse at this point - couldn't cope, function etc. ( Tried CBT twice before.)

Not happy. Went private without a letter at all from my GP. The private psychiatrist was happy to see me without a GP referral. He prescribed Pregabalin and gave me 30 x2mg diazepam. He has written to my GP about diazepam, but If I have problems getting some I can always go back to him.

Thanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA48 View Post
    Thanks Dan
    Unless you have complex problems a private GP may prescribe for you?? Probs cheaper aswell!

I'm really sorry I didn't come back and let you know how I got on!
    The Private Doctor was brilliant, I got the tablets I needed had a really good chat and he has offered a repeat prescription to keep my costs down. Since I have seen him I have only needed to take 5 tablets, I have got an amazing new job and I am really happy. Just knowing that the tablets are there is all I need 9 times out of 10
    I am sad for the other people that are feeling how I felt though, and not everyone can afford to pay for private treatment, so its really unfair. Thanks again everyone who replied x

Quote Originally Posted by miamoo View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I have spoken to the private GP and he said on the phone that under my circumstances he would see no problem giving me the prescription. Obviously he wants to speak to me, and I am booking in for a 30min appointment, where he will take my full medical history, family history and discuss my situation.
    Why do you think he will say no?
    Good that you have contacted a private doctor and have now got what you wanted. In my own experience a private doctor is more likely to give you what you want provided there are no obvious dangers in prescribing it. You are paying them to listen to you and to help you and usually they go with what you want, if they don't pay another guy until you do get it, you say cost is no problem so that is your obvious route. Remember they are there to help you not create obstacles or hoops to jump through, you are not paying them for that. Being a private patient puts you in the driving seat not the guy the other side of the desk who is beholdened to the NHS.

NHS GPs are obliged to cut down on the medications you refer to and will very rarely ever prescribe those anymore.

good wishes

I'm think about looking for a private GP/doctor does anyone know where I can find private gps/doctors who'd prescribe benzos are there any websites??

Quote Originally Posted by Neutralview View Post
    I'm think about looking for a private GP/doctor does anyone know where I can find private gps/doctors who'd prescribe benzos are there any websites??
    No, because websites in the UK would be illegal as Benzo's are not only prescribed medicines but controlled drugs.

You will find plenty of online pharmacies that will need a prescription. If you buy them from outside the UK, since some countries seem to care less about controlling drugs on the trafficking list by the UN, then Customs can just seize them as it's covered under the charge of "trafficking".

If a GP decides to prescribe them, that's up to them.

Hello everybody,

Not sure if this is still arelevant thread but here goes.

So about me - PTSD (childhood traumas) generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, intermittent agoraphobia, 4 suicide attempts. Emigrated october 2015Severe traumatic violent experiences october 2015 more in 2017 and yet more in 2018. Took to alcohol for first time in my life. Present day - Blackouts, unconsciousness and severe injuries from alcohol abuse.

Was under the care of a kinesiologist for about 10 years and functioned like most responsible adults - work, uni, running household, looking after dogs, married and mostly happy and content. Kinesiologist emigrated. I continued to cope and actually thrive.
    Since 2015, when the proverbial hit the fan, i broke - completely.

Rescued an abused puppy from the side of the road (abroad) in 2016 and brought him back to London - found out earlier this year that hes actually a feral dog. Poor soul was himself traumatised and badly abused and has severe anxity too (sarcastic LOL). His is escalating to the point of aggression.

Long story short, his vet prescribed HIM xanax. Doesnt do anything for him (he has a wonderful behaviourist whos helping us and him) so fidos zanax just lay on the kitchen counter. About a month ago, when i felt the daily 'hell cycle of panic and anxiety' start to kick off in my head i was terrified id binge drink and figured, lets take a xanax. OMF - 15mins later sanity arrived.

Earliest i could see a kinesiologist is 29/04/18. Went to GP on tuesday explained my tale of woe - she told me to go to my boroughs centre for addictions and asked to see me again today. Went to addiction centre yesterday, left and one of my common triggers kicked in - popped in to nearest off licence, got me a medium bottle of my poison, downed it and passed out at home. Explained to her about yesterdays episode. Asked if i could have 10 x 0.5mg zanax tablets. Not 10 packs - 10 tablets!!! She refused. Asked if there was anything at all she could do for me. She said no. I needed to go t the addiction centre and do whatever they suggested. Next scheduled visit there is monday.

Cut to the chase - apparently the secret to solving my problem according to my esteemed gp : I JUST NEED TO HAVE POSITIVE THOUGHTS. Cant imagine why i didnt think of that before. Super-duper LOL. Fidos vet is happy to re-fill his script - 30 x 0.5mg zanax for mommy.

Interestingly, i have refused meds in the past eg SSRIs and other anti-depressionmeds. I swear by kinesiology, reiki, massage, lots of time in nature with my dogs, switching from corporate to creative. I was in the best place id ever known.

The zanax is for the next month max to give my kinesiologist some time to help me.

Rant over.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information