Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety: GP wont prescribe, can I go private?

Re: Anxiety: GP wont prescribe, can I go private?

Hi

Sorry you feel that the doc(s) not being helpful BUT it would be irresponsible of a doctor to continue to prescribe medications that can be addictive and that they feel you do not need.

Both Zoplicone and Diazepam are known to have addictive properties, hence the reason why the docs will only prescribe you "emergency doses" rather than a repeat prescription for habitual useage.

You need to go back to a GP at your practice and explain your feelings and ask for alternative help in overcoming your problems - demanding a prescription for the drugs you want is just not an option if the GP feels that there is a reason why they are not suitable for you - maybe you should ask why they are taking this line so that you can at least consider your options.

Paying to see a private GP for drugs of this nature does seem a rather extreme option and does, dare I say it, sound like someone who is far too reliant on the drugs in any event.

As a matter of interest also, I have not heard of anyone seeing a private GP for a prescription and then being able to use NHS services for the fulfilment of that prescription - did not know that happened - I thought once you sought private medical counsel that you then had to pay for whatever they prescribed.

Anyways, consider going back to the GP and see what they can suggest - a referral to the Mental Health services would be an excellent start - and I might add, if a psychiatrist thinks that you need the drugs you are asking for, then they will be prescribed in the appropriate manner.

Good luck

Macc Noodle
    x

Quote Originally Posted by macc noodle View Post
    Hi

Both Zoplicone and Diazepam are known to have addictive properties, hence the reason why the docs will only prescribe you "emergency doses" rather than a repeat prescription for habitual useage.

I used to be on an 8wkly repeat for benzos, the NICE guidelines have now reduced that down to a 4wkly repeat, which is stupid as I am still taking the same medication, but having to pay out twice as much. The point I am making here is that GP's are still giving out prescriptions for benzos on a regular basis. I am not saying I totally agree with it, as obviously they are addictive, but I was under the impression that Zopiclone was a Class Z drug so not considered to be as much of a problem as the Diazepam.

I think there are new guidelines for prescribing diazepam, a lot of docs now only give out weekly supplies, and often they will only do this for a couple of weeks for emergencies rather than using them as a long term treatment. This could be why your doc has stopped them.

Miamoo, I think it's a real shame that your are being forced to go private. Docs should be able to see from your records that you are not abusing them and your usage is responsible and not addictive. In the summer, my GP gave me temazepam for insomnia, which had I put with for about 15 years. It has made such a difference to my life and I wish I'd got it years ago. However I never use it more than 3 times a week. Also, there seem to be people on here who use diazepam daily on a long-term basis. Where is the consistency in that. Good luck with the private GP and I'm really sorry you have been put through so much hassle x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thanks for the replies.
    I am happy to pay for the drugs privately, I'm not expecting a NHS prescription.

I have already said that the GP does ALWAYS give me the meds.
    I dont demand them, I just have to go into my whole story/history everytime getting upset obviously due my circumstances(they have never read my notes they dont have time I suppose).
    If my GP would give me the meds I asked for say every 6mths, I would be happy, I could cope with that. But its the battle that I have to go through everytime my script runs out.

Basically what I was asking when I first wrote this, is that CAN a GP prescribe Zopiclone/Diazapam on a regular basis say every 5mths, 28 lowest dose tablets of each. To be used on a VERY occasional basis.
    The doctors dont have any other alternatives for me, hence the reason they always prescribe 'just this once'.

I really dont need to see a psyciatrist, I am well generally, as I said my main symptoms are kept under controll with the citalopram.

Miamoo, my first prescription for 28 temazepam lasted seven months. When it was close to running out, I phoned my surgery's repeat prescription line, just as I do with my other medications, and was given a further 28 without seeing the doc, no questions asked x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

I am really quite upset by some of the posts on here, I also notice that some drugs do get given out 'like sweets' by NHS GP's by people who abuse them, and then go back for more, which the GP then happily prescribes.
    These people get sympathy on here, yet I am clinging on by my finger nails to my life, my work, my family and yes occasionally I need abit of extra help. An I am accused of being 'demanding'.
    I had an awfull childhood(like alot of others here). I was sexually abused since I was 5 along with my sister by all of my mums boyfriends, with my mums knowledge. My sister is in a mental hospital, thats how well she coped with it.
    I cope how I can, which I think is amazingly well considering
    I have had counselling/CBT/hypnotherapy/acupuncture they me helped a great deal, but at the end of the day, no one can wipe my memory. I get by and now have built myself a happy life a good job an amazing husband and a lovely home.
    99% of my life is happy, but I see something on tv sometimes I'm ok but sometimes it can drag me back there, I dont want to live like that, I refuse to live like that if there is an alternative. I really didnt want to go into this here.
    Thank you to everyone who has posted I will get back to you when I've seen the Private GP, and let you know how I go.

What worries me most about all of this is the total lack of knowledge and understanding by GP's. When they do their training they do very little on mental health problems, hence their total lack of empathy with patients a lot of the time. My own GP practice, where there are about 7 GP's, are all pretty clueless about anxiety.

If we go to our GP for help with smoking then we will be offered tons of FREE support, despite people making the choice to smoke. Go to them with an anxiety disorder, something that you haven't created yourself and you are treated like some kind of nut job who has to beg for help.

If someone can't sleep and a GP isn't willing to prescribe something, then they should at least offer something else that will work or refer the patient to someone who can help them.

None of the GP's around here are sympathetic to people with anxiety problems, I only realise just how bad they are, because I did have a great and very sympathetic GP.

Quote Originally Posted by miamoo View Post
    None of the GP's around here are sympathetic to people with anxiety problems, I only realise just how bad they are, because I did have a great and very sympathetic GP.
    Sadly it doesn't surprise me. I've had anxiety since 1970 and haven't found any GP, psychologist or psychiatrist that has really understood the stuff I have told them about. I always get the feeling that as anxiety disorders are classed as a "neurosis" rather than a "psychosis" that many professionals find it hard to know how to treat us. Most of us just accept the poor quality of help we are offered and plod on regardless and we are allowed to just plod on as we aren't a threat to ourselves or the community at large.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information