Thread: Diazepam before general anaesthetic

Diazepam before general anaesthetic

Hello all,

I avoid medications where possible, but do use diazepam on occasion. Despite my infrequent useage, I would say that it doesn't have an enormous effect on me. For example, I might go two weeks without having anything and then if I just need some respite from the constant dread I might take 6mg which can just take the edge off (sometimes).

On about 3 occasions I've taken 10mg. This works better to relax me, especially on an empty stomach.

I was wondering whether it would be safe to take 20mg of Diazepam prior to a general anaesthetic. Obviously I would discuss with the doctor too, but I was wondering if anybody here had any insight. I legitimately may have the worst fear of general anaesthetic than anyone else on this forum (nay, the world!) and I don't think 10mg would cut it in these circumstances. Or are there any other pre-surgery drugs that would be any better?

If it makes any difference I'm essentially very healthy with no conditions. I'm just underweight at the moment (<18 BMI) due to anxiety.

I'm not even sure I'll need general anaesthetic yet. But just wondering.

Thanks,

Jenny

Re: Diazepam before general anaesthetic

This really is one for a doctor because whilst we can understand the Diazepam, it's the GA that might be a blind spot for us.

They do authorise use of Diazepam for patients, as well as stronger benzos, for pre op situations to get patients to the ops. Whether there are maximums, I'm not sure, but I would expect any GA is adjusted if needed and they fully understand the best ways to do this.

Re: Diazepam before general anaesthetic

Thank you.

Thread Information