Thread: medication diazepam

medication diazepam

hi,

Im currently just started taking propranolol 80mg and sertraline 50mg.I have also been prescribed 2mg diazepam for if and when I have a panic attack.

My question is this.

Should I take the diazepam before I start work, because I do have panic attack at work, or should i wait until the panic attack actually starts?

with thanks

James

Re: medication diazepam

Hey James,

When, at work, do you get the panic attack? When something stressful happens or when you first arrive?

Diazepam does work fairly quickly (well it did with me!) but the effects for some does not last all day. If you were to take it as you went in, would this put you in a calmer frame of mind as you went in the door therefore lessening the likelihood of a panic attack or would it be best to just use Propanalol to get rid of tense feeling as you went in and only use the diazepam if you really needed it (it can become addictive if overused and if overused, 2mg may not be effective). I suppose it depends on how strong your anxieties and potential likelihood of a panic attack in work are.

Did the doctor not explain how to use them? It various from person to person. I can only tell you what I was told by my CPN and that was wait til the panic starts. The only time I will take before is when flying or I would never even get to the airport. The propanolol every day will help with the basics of panic.

I actually dont use mine much. When the panic starts I say "I'll wait five minutes and if I still feel the same I'll take one" and then when the five minutes are up try another five minutes. A lot of the time now, the security of knowing I have them if I need them is enough.

The other reason to only use them when needed is that you may not get as many from your doctor going forward as prescribing them for every day use can be questioned by your GP's health board. Sometimes a larger prescription is given at the start of treatment as sertraline can make anxiety worse at first but that settles after a week or so.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for those replies, you have both very thoroughly answered my question.
    To the question of what causes the panic attack it is the OCD kicking in. Which is terrible annoying.

Thread Information