Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Headed

Light Headed

Afternoon all.

I’m at work at the moment, and feeling light-headed and kind of unreal. All too familiar, and the really b****y annoying thing is that it tends to last all day. *sigh*

I was just wondering – do other people tend to get this a lot (most) of the time, or does it tend to be more intermittent? Any tips for stopping it?

I’m aware of good breathing practice, so I’ve been working on that. I remember reading in some self help book that once you’ve ‘accepted’ the symptoms (i.e. you realise they can’t hurt you), you end up ignoring them and they stop. Has this worked for anyone? Any better suggestions gratefully received!

It’s really annoying when I’m out walking (I used to love going on big walks), but the scariest time it occurs is when I’m driving. Just occurred to me a couple of days ago – what if I pass out then? Not much evidence of this happening, I admit, but it scared me nonetheless. I rang up NHS Direct this morning just to check that, given that I’ve never fainted from anxiety before, it’s pretty unlikely I’m actually going to start now – they told me to go get a check up from my GP. Sigh. Think I’m becoming my doctor’s worst nightmare …

Thanks for all the ongoing support, by the way – it’s really, really good to talk to people going through the same thing

Yours,
    Henry

HI Henry, sorry to hear you are feeling so bad today- tomorrow is another day!!!! Anyway, i do suffer when i am driving but i have never passed out and i have found that turning my radio up really loud and singin along helps me by taking my mind off it (people looking at me as if i am mad- but hey i am). Hope it helps, if ya need a chat, feel free to pm me or email

Rachxx

Hi,

I too have days when I feel really dizzy and when I am trying to pick my children up from school I have a job to keep my balance.

It really has got to be one of the worse symptoms. I am still trying to find a way to deal with it, but I do find having a sit down and a little read sometimes helps me?

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Laura xx

Just another thought, I am finding a book by Claire Weekes called "Peace from Nervous Suffering" really helpful. It covers giddiness (and other symptoms) in a lot of detail.

It also follows the face, accept, float and let time pass treatment, which I think I am just grasping!

Just a thought xx

Laura xx

hi Henry,

Yes, I do suffer from light headeness, not all the time and normally only for a little while at a time. It is true that once you learn to ignore the symptoms, they go away, though this is not immediate and it does take a while to get the hang of - I am in the middle of doing this myself..

Sarah

Hi Henry,
    Light-headed, dizzy, oh yes, and most of the time recently, and yes, i still get scared, even though i know deep down, that i will not faint. As mentioned, the best thing is to accept and flow through it, if only, i do try, but on days like today, don't feel i can fight it, not a very positive attitude, i know, but tommorow will be better, that's my positive statement for today. take care

hi henry,

Dont you think the reason you get them when you drive is because at the back of your mind you know this is the worst time for you to be feeling like that.

I used to be like that at bed time i knew once i switched of the light i was going to panick, so i dreaded bed time every night it was a viscious circle in the end i stopped going to bed and slept on the sofa, [V] till my back would take it no- more.

take care xx

kairen x

Henry

I used to get the dizziness all day every day and it seemed to go on for years and years. This was before I learnt what it was and then it gradually went.

Breathing will help and some exercise too.

Hope you feel better now!

Nicola

Yep, I think it’s a fear thing really – as long as I’m not worried about it it’s fine, but as soon as I get scared I can get very dizzy. One of the useful pieces of advice I got (think it was for someone I saw on ‘heart coherence’ or something) was “Remember – what are you rehearsing? Whatever you rehearse, you get good at.” Fairly obvious, I guess, but it made me think at the time. I’ll keep practicing not being scared

Laura, thanks for the recommendation! I’ve got a copy of Self Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes – bought it just after the anxiety kicked off. Not actually convinced I read it all, so I’ll have another crack at it.

Anyway, I’ve had a good night’s sleep and a big lie in, so I’m actually feeling pretty chipper today

Cheers for all the advice!

A Happier Henry

**as soon as I get scared I can get very dizzy**

Once it comes to your attention and you dwell on it - it then becomes a matter of choice whether you think scary thoughts and go down that route or tell yourself very firmly ad nauseum that you will be fine and busy yourself with something else.

Remember energy follow thought.
    Think scared = being scared

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information