Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming off Citalopram

Hi Rob - like you i went cold turkey a few years ago coming off seroxat. I had tried it slowly - measuring it out in small amounts - reduced it, increased it - you name it i did it! Anyway decided to go cold turkey and felt crap for a few weeks, but was glad when i got through it. Looks like you are starting to feel a bit better already. I coped for two years without medication but have crashed again - tried citalopram for a fortnight and couldn't cope with feeling crap with the drugs. Stopped them after two weeks and am finding other ways of managing. Anxiety is not nice and is very scary but i keep telling myself it is just a feeling - as is happy, sad angry! I am doing relaxations tapes lots and giving myself a goal every day - lots of praise too. Surround yourself with lots of support - this site is a great place to start. Try not to give into taking the meds again just now you have come this far with the withdrawal - WELL DONE!!!!

Nicola

Thanks Nicola for your supportive words. Im determined not to go back on the pills, ive come too far now. Im fortuanate to have a very supportive partner and like you said, this website has been great to just find out that there are so many other people in the same situation.
    Well done to you too for managing without your medication-i know how hard that is. Its great that you are using other methods to relax and cope with the stresses and strains in life. Keep up the good work.

All the best,
    Rob.

It is my 15th day since i went cold turkey. It has been hard work and i hope to never go through having to try and cope with the side effects again but it has been worth it. The effects are very slight now. I get periods of feeling stressed and very slightly down but they do not last long.
    No longer being on Citalopram is a relief beyond words and it feels great knowing that i have my own brain back now. I am still very cautious that i may experience further side effects but if im honest i feel great.
    If you consider going cold turkey have a chat with the doc first. It can be done and you may not have any side effects like i did as will effect everybody different. I have to say though that if you give it a go and struggle like i did, just keep going. the effects dont last too long and it is so worth it. Use this website as it is full of people in the same boat and it is always reassuring to know that you are not the only one going through it.
    Good luck to everybody whatever problems or worries you may have and thanks to all those who helped me during my 'cold turkey' adventure.

Rob.

It was going so well. The past few days have not been very good. I havent been able to cope with anything and feel quite down. I feel guilty because i have been taking my moods out on my 3 year old son and my partner and i wish more than ever that i could just be as happy as i was last week!
    Im very lucky as my partner is very supportive but i can tell that it is very hard for her living with some of the misery i am bringing into the house.
    Right now i feel like giving up and goin back on the pills. I have never felt so frustrated and just want all of the rubbish feelings i have to go away. I think its nearly 4 weeks since i came off Citalopram. I dont know whether im showing signs of being depressed again or whether these are just side effects of coming off the pills.
    i dont know what to do.
    Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Hi Rob,
    Sorry you're feeling so bad at the moment. You were happy last week and you will be again. Have you read Claire Weekes book,self help for your nerves? Lots of ppl on here go on about it and it is very good.She talks about giving things time,letting time pass.You were on these tablets for 2 years and have only just come off them.
    You are bound to have good days and bad at the moment.Try not to feel guilty,easier said than done I know,but its really not your fault.This anxiety/panic/depression is a pain but we'll get there in the end.
    Take care
    julie x

Hey Rob,

I came off of Citalopram about 3 months ago (20mg) BUT the doc took me off of them gradually, down to 10mg then 5 mg till eventually i was on half a tablet every 2nd day then off completely. I think if you come straight off of 20mg you might get some bad side effects. Do check this out with your GP.
    I got those 'head wooshes' even when i missed the odd one when i was on 20mg a day so i know what you mean. Could be different depending on the person!?
    I do hope you feel better soon:-)

Thanks Julie. I know that eventually things will be OK, Ive just had a real bad day. Ive decided to just get on with it tomorrow as ive been feeling a bit sorry for myself. The last thing i want to do is get depressed. Time to beat these effects i think and get on with life how i would like it to be.
    Thanks very much for replying, it always cheers me up when people take the time to have a chat.
    Take care,
    Rob.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hey Rob,

I came off of Citalopram about 3 months ago (20mg) BUT the doc took me off of them gradually, down to 10mg then 5 mg till eventually i was on half a tablet every 2nd day then off completely. I think if you come straight off of 20mg you might get some bad side effects. Do check this out with your GP.
    I got those 'head wooshes' even when i missed the odd one when i was on 20mg a day so i know what you mean. Could be different depending on the person!?
    I do hope you feel better soon:-)

<div align="right">Originally posted by kitty24 - 26 October 2006 : 21:39:00</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Thanks Kitty. Ive tried gradually coming off the tabs before but i still got side effects so had to give cold turkey a go. My doctor doesnt even know im off them yet! Those head whooshes are a nitemare huh? Anyway, i hope youre coping well now that youre off Citalopram.
    Take care,
    Rob.

Hi everyone
    I am about to go on Citralopram but I am wary. Has anyone found that it has really helped with their depression or is it a waste of time? I have been addicted to cannabis for about 10 years and want to quit as it has made me paranoid and depressed. Is it ok to mix cannabis with Citralopram? I want to quit cannabis but its hard.
    Can anyone help?

Re: Coming off Citalopram

Hi all.

I just went from 20mg to 10 for 2 weeks, then one every other day but found that taking a tablet after not taking one was worse!

I've been on Venlafaxine (ouch) and other stuff before for 4 years.

These flu symptoms are a nightmare but luckily I feel quite calm - though sleeping is a problem.

I don't recommend Kalms or anything like that until the Citalpram is out of your system completely.

I've only had one bad emotional moment (just crying for no damn reason!) but know I just need to ride things like that out.

Luckily I'm not working at the moment otherwise I don't think I could cope.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information