Thread: Woken up by feeling that I'm dying

Woken up by feeling that I'm dying

Last night I was woken up by the most curious and terrifying feeling. I woke up and it felt like my body had just stopped. I'm not even able to tell you what had stopped. Had I stopped breathing? Was it a massive heart palpitation? Was I still dreaming? I was just lying there thinking "OMG I'm dying, no, no, no" and then "If my heart has stopped beating I should be fainting". So I opened my eyes and only saw pitch black. My heart started racing and after a while my eyes started to adjust to the dark and I realised I was fine. Actually managed to calm myself down very quickly after that. But what the *beep* had happened? Sleep paralysis? I wasn't in pain, there was no chest tightness, just the feeling that my body had stopped doing its thing. Maybe my brain woke up before my body and felt what it's like to be in deep sleep and freaked? That'd be sleep paralysis, right?

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Re: Woken up by feeling that I'm dying

I have similar issues. I think they are nocturnal panic attacks, or night terrors. At least in my case. I'm due a sleep study to check for apnea/night terrors.

I get two different types of sleeping problems.

The first is like I'm awake, but still asleep. I can see the room, but I don't recognise where I am. It's a very strange experience.

This then always leads onto a feeling of terror. I really can't explain it as it's nothing like a panic attack. Impending doom feeling, but much worse than my worst panic attack. My brain is foggy for a good while afterwards and I usually end up on the laptop for an hour to calm down before I sleep.

Sometimes only the second one happens without the first. When it happens at that moment the fear and feeling of death is very real. But, when I wake up I almost forget the experience. I am certain I've had it on occasions and just forgot about it when I woke up the next morning.

But the whole experience at its peak feels like my heart stopped. Many times its happened I've accepted death and thought "if I'm going, then make it quick".

I only notice these when I'm stressed. If something is playing on my head constantly all day I will have a "sleep attack" that night.

I can also predict when I will have one because some nights I will feel very groggy, and spaced out, before I sleep. It's almost like the feeling you have when your body is low on sugar. Those nights I will get them 100% of the time.

I bet my issue has something to do with anxiety, low blood sugar (not diabetic), and stress. It's probably the same for you, but the experience is so shocking and intense we tend to tell ourselves its something worse.

I've had these for over 8 years. I've only came across a few people online who have these episodes and can truly appreciate the fear and the intensity they cause.

My partner has confirmed I've stopped breathing for up to 30 seconds in the past. There is possibly some apnea there. But I'm not overweight or anything. And night terrors usually mean you thrash out whilst asleep which I don't do. It leaves one scratching their head!
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 22-04-17 at 18:18.

It's all rather strange, isn't it? I'm sure it's something anxiety related and happened while I was somewhere between asleep and awake. I also wondered about sleep apnea in my case, if the feeling was caused by me stopping to breath. But I didn't exactly gasp for air or feel like I hadn't been breathing. Then again, my Dad has had severe sleep apnea for all of his life and I'm wondering whether it might run in the family.

Fingers crossed that your sleep study will get to the bottom of things!

Quote Originally Posted by Lushchicken View Post
    It's all rather strange, isn't it? I'm sure it's something anxiety related and happened while I was somewhere between asleep and awake. I also wondered about sleep apnea in my case, if the feeling was caused by me stopping to breath. But I didn't exactly gasp for air or feel like I hadn't been breathing. Then again, my Dad has had severe sleep apnea for all of his life and I'm wondering whether it might run in the family.

Fingers crossed that your sleep study will get to the bottom of things!
    I don't gasp for air either. It doesn't always happen in apnea. That's probably what causes the uncomfortable feelings because the body needs more oxygen due to the pause in breathing, but the breathing remains relaxed when it should be gasping to fill the body with oxygen. No idea ha ha.

If you have apnea in the family it's very possible you could have it too.

Gosh, I really really hope not! I don't need another potential health issue to worry about. Now a bit worried about going to bed tonight.

My asthma started acting up yesterday because I've got hay fever and I'm wondering if this might have played a role in it.

I used to get this and what scared me worse was that every night at exactly 3:22 am it would happen. I would wake up feel my heart go crazy along with I'm dying thoughts take a a xanax and knock out.
    My doctor did suspect sleep apnea so stopping breathing could be a source??

Thread Information