Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortisol and anxiety-why you feel the way you do

Cortisol and anxiety-why you feel the way you do

I know this is probably in the wrong area, but im currently working to over come my anxeity and was reading a book that talked in one chapter about the effect of cortisol on your body-which explains A LOT.

Basically, to sum it up quickly, everytime you have a stress reactions (feel stressed, adreniline rush, panick attack, feeling anxious, flight flee response, etc) your body secretes cortisol ( a hormone). I know personally, that i get these anxious stressed feelings a million times every day, so my body is secreting too much cortisol-and this has potentialy fatal effects on the body. So basicalyl, too much cortisol equals feeling like crap both mentall and physically.

The Consequences of High Cortisol
    Too much cortisol causes: Abdominal obesity High blood sugar (“adrenal diabetes”) muscle wasting Bone loss Immune shutdown Brain (hippocampus) atrophy Poor wound healing Thin wrinkled skin Fluid retention Hypertension
    Excessive cortisol frequently causes increased: Fatigue/decreased energy Irritability Impaired memory Depressed mood, decreased libido, hormone imbalences, Insomnia anxiety Impaired concentration, fears and phobias Crying Restlessness Social withdrawal Feelings of hopelessness, depersonalization, derealization.

Chronically high cortisol may contribute to many diseases, including cancer, ulcers, heart attacks, diabetes, infections, alcoholism, strokes, skin diseases, psychosis, multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, and possibly Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease . High Cortisol may contribute to obesity not only because of the metabolic disruptions (including insulin resistance) that it promotes, but also because it induces “stress overeating,” especially in women. It weakens your immune system and makes you more suseptible to getting sick.

Ways to Reduce High Cortisol:
    1. Use cortisol reducing supplement: There are a variety of herbs to reduce cortisol at peak times. Some of my favorites include: Seriphos, and Calm-PRT.
    2. Eat at regular intervals throughout the day: Avoid skipping meals, as this will create a cortisol release.
    3. Excessive carbohydrate intake creates cortisol release in response to constantly elevated insulin levels. Eat complex carbohydrates instead.
    4. Utilize stress reduction techniques at peak cortisol times: meditation, self-hypnosis, or simply lying on the floor doing belly breathing for 10-15 minutes can work wonders at reducing stress and thus cortisol levels.
    5. Get to bed on time. Get at least 8 hours of sleep nightly.
    6. Avoid stimulants: Stay away from energy drinks that contain ephedra-like compounds and caffeine. Stimulants shift the body into sympathetic dominance, or "fight or flight". Stimulants can also disrupt your sleeping patterns. If you must drink coffee, be sure that you do not drink any after 12 noon.
    7. Keep your workouts under 1 hour: At the 1 hour mark, your testosterone levels begin to decline and cortisol levels rise. Forty-five minute workouts are even better.

I'm not trying to scare anyone into making them think they have too high cortisol levels and their gonna die, i just want people to be aware that cortisol is inevitable in stress reactions, and is the cause of mant unhappy and unpleasent physical and mental effects our body feels when stressesd and after the stress, too.

So, less stress=less cortisol=less physicall and mental symtoms!=happier person!

Have a GREAT day

monika

To heal ilness, begin by restoring balance.

Speak or act negativly, pain follows, Speak or act with a pure heart, and happiness follows.

It's never too late to create a new body.

Wellness is our natural state. Disease is an imposter.

Re: Cortisol and anxiety-why you feel the way you do

Great thread!

Was doing a search on cortisol and found this, and I think it deserves to be bumped. I think cortisol is a big player in why I feel so terrible and this is a good starting point in getting better.

Hi

Can I ask what book that was please? Thanks x

I think i had to much ephedra for the last couple of months hence too much cortisol

Great and informative thread

Post Re: Cortisol and anxiety-why you feel the way you do

Yes, I agree Cortisol is a major player in how we feel, particularly if we are panicked and the butterfly in the stomach scenario. Too much cortisol causes insomnia and eventually clinical depression and is very underrated in the medical environment. I am currently trying something completely new to combat my stress related depression; it's known as imagery and is very powerful (and a natural healer). It is sometimes referred to as mind healing or even mind over matter. With regards to cortisol, for instance, lie down on a bed and relax all your muscles completely. Concentrate on breathing deeply at first then normally then when you feel completely calm and at ease imagine you are inside your own body specifically near your kidneys. On top your right kidney is your adrenal gland. This is where cortisol is made and released into the blood system. Imagine now that you are sitting near the gland and there is a control box beside it. On top of the box there is a sign saying 'Cortisol secretion control'. Open the control box and you see two buttons, a red button which says 'auto' and a green button 'recalibrate'. Also in the box you see a monitor which shows that your cortisol production and secretion is boardering the red (too much). Press first the green button to recalibrate the system and then the auto button and watch the dial slowly go down to the lower part of normal. Then close the box and slowly see yourself lying on the bed where you started and slowly wake up. Do this exercise as if you are actually doing it and not seeing yourself doing it. Do the exercise twice a day until you feel better. It may take a few days to feel better because of the excess cortisol in your system but it is amazing what the mind can do. Good luck

Great post monika! Very interesting and I can definitely relate. I've already started doing a few of the ways to reduce high cortisol! xx

This is something i've never considered before. one of those posts i'll refer to again and again. Thank you.

Red face Re: Cortisol and anxiety-why you feel the way you do

Thanks Monika, Your Post is very relevant and absolutely practical. I hv been on high cortisol levels due to over medication, my Endocrinologist put me on redundant dosage of Hydrocortisone, whereas my blood test reports had confirmed , I was on normal levels. Not only I am suffering from Insomnia, but Headaches, sleepiness and loss of immune too. WE experienced weather change last week, since then I am having this discomfort in nose which seems to never get away. Thanks again for your sharing ur story.

Hi, I had an adrenal stress test done which shows elevated cortisol at midday and too low cortisol at night. They also look at dhea. I followed what you've (and they) suggested and on re-test had improved adrenal function. It works.

Xxx

Great to know, I am scheduled to have these tests done in 2 weeks and I'm terrified, glad to know if there is a problem it can be fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information