Thread: Why is it so difficult for some people to understand??

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand??

Hi all,

Hope this is the right topic, just wanted to get something off my chest.

I'm on ESA for panic disorder, anxiety and severe depression, and I'm currently living with my parents who are emotionally abusive. Every day is such a huge struggle, all I do is just try to get by day by day.

I posted over on Reddit yesterday asking for financial advice and was hit with a torrent of abuse from somebody:

"From your excuses, I'm kinda convinced you'll use every reason in the book to not drag yourself out of bed in the morning like we all do and go to work"

"I have every sympathy for those who truly are stuck. But the OP...she doesn't come off as that kind of person."

"Do you not want to work because you'll lose your free money? Minimum wage not enough? Want a high-paying job or you won't bother because the handouts are enough to keep you out of sight and out of mind?"

And lots more, which has triggered me to say the least, I can't stop thinking about it and I feel SO angry and helpless. Why are people so horrid and ignorant?? Do they really think that we choose to be like this? It's like they're so blind to their own privilege and can't comprehend someone having it worse off than they do.

I have amazing friends who understand and are there for me to talk to but they all live far away, I have no-one to turn to in real life and just need some validation I guess.
    Last edited by lunaloomer; 05-07-17 at 13:22.

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand??

Reddit is full of absolute a*sewipes.

I'm sorry some total muppets responded like that to you.

Unfortunately some people are just bitter/prejudiced/ignorant/trolls.

Also they are in the minority (IRL).

Let's hope they have a really crappy day of stubbing their toes or stepping on lego.

Chin up, okay? Xxxx

AND HAVE A MASSIVE HUG X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by claireypoo; 05-07-17 at 14:11.

Re: Why is it so difficult for some people to understand??

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.

Non mental health sites can be like that. I've signposted a few people over work issues to a forum I used to frequent but told them not to mention their mental health because I remember how some of the posters could be ignorant & unpleasant.

If they ever experience poor mental health, they will very quickly change their mind. Sadly, these types are likely to be the ones that don't believe mental health matters, only physical health.

The Internet also means you get keyboard warriors and trolls.

Whilst it has upset you, try to remember these people mean nothing to you and their opinions should be ignored.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Reddit is a very cut throat when it comes to user comments, a bit like the youtube comments section. Although there is a lot of hostility these days about people getting help from the government because of the stories in the press about people abusing the benefits system especially immigrants. I agree with Terry the people on these forums don't understand anxiety/depression issues so people shouldn't really take their comments to heart, easier said than done!

Well that's not helpful to anyone! It sounds like that person is struggling badly and only working for money because they believe it's just the way you have to be. In all my adult life I've never been good with money and I feel powerless and angry too :( Money and I have an awful relationship.

Sorry to read that! I can only echo what others have said above. Just trolls on the internet thinking their untouchable!

I have a similar situation to you actually but myself I'm not on ESA (never looked into it personally). But due to my anxiety and episode with depression a few years back that Reddit poster sounds exactly like my sister. Shes loud, confident and outgoing and was working at 16, but she resents me because I'm 21 and I currently don't work, and I'm the complete opposite to her. And she thinks I'm just faking it for an easy life. (Living at home with my mum, but I do pay my way).

I think the problem is the fact mental health is invisible so people are less likely to believe it. The ignorance in our society, is getting better but still a way to go.

Keep your chin up, you can't argue with stupid.

That sub is filled with entitled a**holes, you shouldn't care what they have to say they're just trying to make you feel bad... don't let them.
    Last edited by eljefe; 18-07-17 at 03:38.

Thread Information