Thread: Side effects the same every time?

Side effects the same every time?

I am considering starting prozac for the third time. The past two times I was on it were around 14 years ago so I've been med free for a good while. Both times it worked very well for me but the first two weeks were horrific. I felt a zillion times worse. I have recently tried citalopram but straight away it gave me sexual side effects and most of the stuff I read online seemed to suggest that this is something that doesn't really get better. I never had this with prozac. I was wondering whether those who have been on it more than once or multiple times could tell me whether you had similar side effects each time and whether it worked as well for you.

Re: Side effects the same every time?

I know this is an old post, but just in case anyone else is looking at this issue - I went on prozac the first time for about 4 years and had no side effects at all when I started. Then I was off the meds for about 5 years, then went back on, again with barely any side effects I can recall. I was on them for 5 years and then came off again - there was some withdrawal that time, but nothing major. Then, after about 6 months I realised I should not have come off the meds and tried to go back on. Big mistake. Horrible side effects within about a week of taking them again - massive anxiety, insomnia, nausea, diarrhoea, trembling etc. Just brutal. I lasted 3 weeks and the dr made me stop cold turkey and switch to citalopram. Which also didnt work, but that is another story..

As I understand it, the more times you stop and start the greater the chance of getting side effects.

Thread Information