Thread: Changing to Sertraline after 4 weeks on Fluoxetine

Changing to Sertraline after 4 weeks on Fluoxetine

Hi Guys,

I'm new to here as desperate for some help. Quick overview...

I'm now 34 and have suffered depression since about 18 years old, at various times for different lengths of time. The first antidepressant I was ever prescribed by my GP was Fluoxetine at 18 years old, 20mg. I took this for about 4-5 years, with no issues, felt great.

I then had a depressive relapse at about 27, and was prescribed Sertraline, I think 100mg from what I can remember...again no issues, and took it for about 2 years.

Then again, in 2013, I had a very traumatic situation, and essentially a breakdown with anxiety. Couldn't stop crying, shaking, couldn't sleep...basically had to be watched 24/7 by my family. At this time, I was put back on Sertraline - 150mg. I don't remember any side effects, but I was such a mess at the time, I probably wouldn't.

I improved quickly, and took them continuously at 150mg, until September last year, at which point I decided to come off altogether. I followed the correct process etc. no issues. I spent years living a normal life on them, drinking, partying, working etc.

Anyway...to the point - 6 weeks ago, I felt my anxiety creeping back...I wasn't depressed again. I'd started my own business, work from home all day, and found it stressful started having panic attacks which I'd never ever had before.

So, I thought I'd be wise to treat it before it got worse. My doctor gave me Fluoxetine (which I'd had at 19 years old). First two weeks were fine, but the 3rd and 4th week, I began waking up in the morning, every morning full of absolute dread, anxiety, paralysed with fear, depression...it go so bad, I was curled up on my floor, uncontrollably crying, all day. (I only wanted them for some anxiety, but they'd made me chronically depressed too).

Here's my question:

Eventually, I got an emergency appointment, and the GP agreed those symptoms after 4 weeks weren't good. He told me to go back to Sertraline, as I was on them for years until September, with no issues, and he told me to go on 50mg. He told me to have a day in between the two with no medication.

I'm 6 days into the Sertraline now, and again, day 1 and 2 were ok, but for 4 days now I've had severe depression and anxiety. I wake up still crippled with depression, anxiety, crying all day every day and can't move, can't sleep....

I can't remember these side effects with Sertraline before, when I started them in 2013...and I thought the sertraline would improve the horrific side effects from the fluoxetine. That was the point in changing. Do you think 1 day in between the two wasn't enough?

The weird thing is...it's day 6 today, and I felt ok this morning...but I don't have any confidence I won't wake up tomorrow, back to feeling at rock bottom. It seems a lottery...any advice or thoughts would be welcome. I'm desperate. I go to bed every night, terrified of how I will wake up in the morning.

Re: Changing to Sertraline after 4 weeks on Fluoxetine

I feel the same way. I was a mess when i took prozac & it gave me so much anxiety (just like Sertraline). The doctor had to give me xanax since the medications can increase anxiety. Do you have a doctor prescribed benzo to take while you go through the start up effects?

Re: Changing to Sertraline after 4 weeks on Fluoxetine

It's unbearable. I spoke with him yesterday, and the only thing he suggested was upping the dose of Sertraline to 100mg. The mornings are so bad, it's so unbearable. I know everyone says 4-6 weeks, but does that start all over again from when I started the Sertraline, or from when I started the Fluoxetine?

Thread Information