Thread: Big Setback

Big Setback

Hi all! Just looking for a bit of reassurance here I think.......

I've suffered from anxiety for over 10 years and am currently on my third therapist. I usually worry about social events long before they occur and have avoided many things throughout the years but usually once I'm out I have always managed to handle my panic. Last night I was out with a friend having a meal and for the first time since I've suffered from Anxiety I suddenly couldn't cope. I have never experienced such strong emotions and thoughts. It was nothing like I have gone through in the past, it just felt totally strange and uncontrollable. I had to flee the scene and come home. I can't even explain the feelings I had. I was confused, exhausted and uncharacteristically emotional. I had to go to the toilet before we left as I was beginning to cry. I have no idea what I was crying about or why but I just felt an incredible wave of negative emotions. I came home and went straight to bed

Anyway this is the day after the night before and I feel totally deflated, detached and scared. I feel like anxiety has totally beat me and am extremely worried how retreating from things last night will effect me in the long run. The one thing that's always got me through anxiety disorder is that I have always managed to get through the things I enjoyed no matter how hard it's been but last night has destroyed my confidence. I feel I have let myself down and really worry how this will scar me physiologically. A friend has just phoned me about going his house next week and I immediately started getting the same symptoms as I experienced last night and had to make an excuse to hang up.

I have acquired some great coping mechanisms from my time at therapy but I really don't know how I could even began to handle the strength of the sort of feelings I experienced last night. I have always had a mindset that whilst anxiety can be a huge burden and a horrible illness to live with, I can always manage to do whatever I want even if it's uncomfortable or distressing. Now I simply can't imagine going to a friends house for a quiet evening.

Can anybody relate to these feelings and have any idea why after 10 years I am suddenly in the worst place I have ever been with my anxiety?

Re: Big Setback

HI Panico Iam getting like that my self (not to the same extent) think some of it stems from the constant let downs from the human race it's only come on recently for me I just want to be 'normal' and enjoy my life again, yours seems very pronounced in the way it effects you which I am sorry to hear I sent you a email so check your inbox. Hope things improve for you soon ATB

Thread Information