Hi Ollie,

Is she on the BACP register? If so, I know from experience that she must have supervised hours by a more senior therapist. Organisations such as BACP are a network of therapists & counsellors with varying levels of experience and this network helps them liaise over appropriate forms of therapy. It's also in the code of ethics that their therapists must not leave you without an appropriate referral to another therapist.

There are other associations that act in a similar manner, but there are lesser known associations that don't mean much i.e. those ones you can join after a short online course.

So, if you found her via such as BACP, BPs, BABCP, etc I would expect someone who would know how to handle anything or to have a support network.

When I had CBT, all the therapists had to have their cases reviewed by their seniors to ensure quality.

I know I found myself thinking some of this because it was a lot to talk about. It's the therapist job to pick that all apart and determine what is required to tackle it.