Thread: Question for the fellow dizziness sufferers!

Question for the fellow dizziness sufferers!

Afternoon, all.

A couple of questions for those folk out there who also experience dizziness with their anxiety. 1) I'm wondering whether you find the normal movement of the earth (for want of a better word) as you walk bothersome? I.E as you walk if you look into the distance it kind of looks like the floor is bouncing as your head moves with each step... I hope that makes sense! 2) Related to that I also would love to know if you find this even more disconcerting when you run? I tried to go for a jog the other day and couldn't ignore the fact that I felt everything was bouncing around!

On a positive note doing much better this year, just want to be as close to 100% dizziness free as possible!

Re: Question for the fellow dizziness sufferers!

I’ve started going for runs outside. To be honest, isn’t everything meant to be ‘bouncing’. We are bouncing after all... our eyes would of course interpret that as not being still.

My dizziness gets much worse after the run though. Sinking, swaying, moving up and down.

I don't know that I've felt the world moving around, but I've definitely felt weird while walking when I'm feeling dizzy. It's pretty uncomfortable!

Idk if I get dizzy but I feel lightheaded a lot. It goes away when I take a benzo but comes back pretty strong if I have been off of it for 12 hours or more. Last night for instance when I was laying in bed it felt like my head was floating (best way to describe it). I tried my hardest not to take a pill but I just couldn't deal with it. When I woke up the feeling was gone. But the feeling has slowly been creeping back.

I usually get those feelings after a run or if I go to the gym an lift as well. I think these feelings are more enhanced because that is what I felt when I had my first panic attack, and subsequently it happened while working out. But like my therapist says, "feelings you get with exertion mimic that of panic. Welcome those feelings and not think anything of them." Easier said than done but I'm trying.

Mark

Dizziness and lightheadedness is one of the symptoms I struggle with the most, along with feelings of unreality. It manifests in different ways sometimes. Sometimes I just feel weak, weird in the head and off balance, sometimes it feels like the floor is moving, and sometimes if I am laying in bed it is more like everything is spinning.

What I am trying to focus on is the DARE response which I picked up from the DARE series by Barry McDonagh. The DARE response for dizziness symptoms is basically this:

D: Defuse any "what if?" thoughts that come up. For me, it's normally "What if I faint?" or "What if this doesn't go away?" or "What if I get into a wreck?" if I'm driving a car. What you're supposed to do in this step is write off those worries with a strong, dismissive statement, even if it's over the top or you don't totally believe it. For instance, if you're worried about fainting, you can say "So what? I'll get a little nap in and then come to!" or just "So what? It's just my anxiety making me feel this way. I'm fine and it will pass."

A: Accept and allow the feeling to be there. Don't try to push against it, which can make the symptoms worse or bring on more or even a full blown panic attack.

R: Run towards it- this is the hardest one for me. Mr. McDonagh recommends "faking it until you make it" but you basically say, out loud if you can, "This feeling excites me! I want more of it!" because it is the exact opposite of fear. It helps tell your nervous system there is nothing to be afraid of.

E: The last step is engage deeply in something and just let the dizziness try and pass without focusing on it. This can be reading, your work, a hobby, etc. Just try to get back to life and don't let dizziness rule it.

I hope this is helpful - Mr. McDonagh has really helped me with his works and I am trying to implement the DARE response to all of my symptoms of anxiety and panic!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSwan View Post
    Dizziness and lightheadedness is one of the symptoms I struggle with the most, along with feelings of unreality. It manifests in different ways sometimes. Sometimes I just feel weak, weird in the head and off balance, sometimes it feels like the floor is moving, and sometimes if I am laying in bed it is more like everything is spinning.

What I am trying to focus on is the DARE response which I picked up from the DARE series by Barry McDonagh. The DARE response for dizziness symptoms is basically this:

D: Defuse any "what if?" thoughts that come up. For me, it's normally "What if I faint?" or "What if this doesn't go away?" or "What if I get into a wreck?" if I'm driving a car. What you're supposed to do in this step is write off those worries with a strong, dismissive statement, even if it's over the top or you don't totally believe it. For instance, if you're worried about fainting, you can say "So what? I'll get a little nap in and then come to!" or just "So what? It's just my anxiety making me feel this way. I'm fine and it will pass."

A: Accept and allow the feeling to be there. Don't try to push against it, which can make the symptoms worse or bring on more or even a full blown panic attack.

R: Run towards it- this is the hardest one for me. Mr. McDonagh recommends "faking it until you make it" but you basically say, out loud if you can, "This feeling excites me! I want more of it!" because it is the exact opposite of fear. It helps tell your nervous system there is nothing to be afraid of.

E: The last step is engage deeply in something and just let the dizziness try and pass without focusing on it. This can be reading, your work, a hobby, etc. Just try to get back to life and don't let dizziness rule it.

I hope this is helpful - Mr. McDonagh has really helped me with his works and I am trying to implement the DARE response to all of my symptoms of anxiety and panic!
    Thank you Emma. I copied and emailed this to myself for future reference.

Thread Information