Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mg Citalopram for anxiety/depression any positive stories?

10mg Citalopram for anxiety/depression any positive stories?

Hello,

I have been prescribed 10mg Citalopram for bad panic attacks/anxiety and depression resulting from these. I have read all manner of nasty side effects, including the fact they can actually make your anxiety worse, and I'm scared to take the first tablet!

I know it is also a small dose, but I am a fairly small person (about 5 foot 3 and a half and just over 8.5 stone), so I'm hoping it will work for me.

Just wanted to hear your positive/success stories really :-)

Thank you.
    Catherine x

Re: 10mg Citalopram for anxiety/depression any positive stories?

Hi Catherine

I too am 5ft 3 and about 8 and a half stone - I'm on 30mg a day at the moment! 10mg is the starting dose generally - if 10mg doesnt work there's plenty of scope to go up until they find the right dose for you.

Everyone is different with this kind of medication - some experience many side effects, others experience none at all. First time round I had very few side effects, this time round I had a bit of a worse time getting used to the medication, but I've come out the other side.

Yes it is true that they can make your anxiety worse before they help you, but its worth riding that out. Citalopram has been quite frankly wonderful for me and given me back the life that depression/anxiety took away from me.

It is also worth remembering that they are not an overnight cure - this time it took 8-12 weeks for me to feel the full benefits, first time round it was quite a bit faster. You'll start to see glimmers of positivity gradually as time goes on.

Hope that helps you!

Hi Catherine,

They're working for me! I started on 10mg for the first week to ease me into them, then went up to 20mg and recently my doc has increased me to 30mg although I've yet to have the prescription filled as I'm not entirely sure I need the extra.

My side effects were minimal. Here's what I did experience:

- Higher levels of anxiety for the first few days (but I felt so awful anyway that to be honest it didn't scare me, I knew to expect it and it was worth it as at least I felt I was doing something about it)
    - Slight nausea and decreased appetite for a few days.
    - About 2-3 weeks in I started to feel depersonalisation / derealisation but it passed after a few days.
    - Felt quite tired for the first week or so - again this was a blessing for me as previously I had needed Zopiclone to sleep and I actually stopped needing these after a few days on the Cit.

I understand your fear but from reading some of your other posts I really think it's worth you giving them a go hun. Keep talking to us all through the side effects, I promise you everything you feel will have been felt by someone here before!

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more about it xx

Smile Re: 10mg Citalopram for anxiety/depression any positive stories?

Hi Catherine,

I am another success story. I was on 10mg citalopram for 6 months. I have recovered well enough to come off them and I've been med free for 2 weeks now.

Rather than repeat myself, below are some links to my previous threads about my experiences.

My citalopram diary: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=119313
    How I improved after 3 months: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123640
    My 6 month review: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128428
    How I felt after coming off: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131039
    List of things that are helping me with my anxiety: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123446

I hope this helps!

I am currently on 20mg once a day, been on it for ten days and although the beginning was quite tough with nausea a lot, I can say that I am definitely feeling the benefits I feel much more calm and positive! Xxx

Hi Catherine, I'm extremely scared too about taking medication! I've not been prescribed any at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of going to the doctors and asking for Citalopram. I'm 5ft 4 (I think!) not sure on my weight as haven't weighed myself in a long time but probably around 8 stone. I have had severe anxiety since 14 (gradually has gotten worse to the point I'm now housebound) I have panic and all sorts of anxiety symptoms, OCD, phobia, social anxiety etc. I read your other post where you said you are reluctant to take brain altering drugs, this is how I feel too. I've tried to avoid medication and have done so far but haven't improved at all. I have done therapy throughout the years but it only helped short term and I reverted back to my old ways with the anxiety coming back. I don't have any advice but please let me know how you get on if you do decide to take them

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your comments - it is always encouraging to hear of other people who have got on well with medication. It took a lot of work (I was so nervous this morning I was a bit of a state), but I have bitten the bullet and taken my first tablet about an hour ago.

Fingers crossed it is the start of my recovery and offers me some more hope.

jayjoe18, I will keep you updated with how I get on I too have found therapy only helps short term, or when I am calm enough to take on board what is being said (at the moment difficult!). I will try and post again tomorrow. It has only been a little time, but I feel ok at the moment (touch wood) and haven't had any nasty side effects yet.

Catherine x

Hi Cathrine

Dont worry you will feel better and may not get any side effects at all not everybody does. The one thing to bear in mind is that it can take 10 - 13 days before you feel better. As for the dose trust your doctor. people usually are started on 10mg and the range is up to 80mg and it doesnt mean you will get side effects every time you increase the dose if necessary.

Good luck and dont worry you will be fine

do you take the tablets in the morning or night. just been given them and very worried

Just had the worst night ever. The one meal I tried to eat yesterday evening (just had soup at lunch to be safe) came back up until I was dry retching and there was nothing left. I have been shivering and hot on and and off and struggling to control my temperature. I woke practically every hour all night, and I am weak from exhaustion and being sick. My anxiety hit the roof overnight and was panicking more than ever this morning, and the tablet now seems to have given me diarrhoea as well. I know I need to hang in there, and I reluctantly took the second pill fairly recently, but I am sure now wasn't the best time to take them (with my anxiety so high anyway) - just got so desperate for help yesterday I caved in.

I am also on diazepam again (the doctor suggested 2mg 3 x daily as a starting dose, but I upped it to 5mg (she said this would be ok if I really needed to) and even that is not cutting through the extreme panic (it just frustrates me as it makes me even more tired, but I still can't sleep!).

mrsnobody and jayjoe18 - I don't want to scare you and many people have been fine on it. I had been reading around lots at the weekend and many people said the tablets worked wonders for them, and whilst side effects are common, they are not always as severe as mine and don't last (it was this that gave me the courage to try them). I just seem to react badly to SSRIs for some reason. I take my tablet at lunchtime just with a light snack so I don't feel too nauseous to begin with. It was only when I tried to eat a normal meal my stomach couldn't cope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information