Thread: Clinically Diagnosed with OCD - genital herpes

Clinically Diagnosed with OCD - genital herpes

I've been suffering from the most severe fear of my life. I've had anxiety attacks and periods of on-going anxiety before, but never to this level. Never to the point I have been so paralyzed by fear that I'm afraid to stray from the routines and compulsions I now have created.

My biggest fear as of late is genital herpes. I've done sooooo much research on it from symptoms, to medications, to the stigma attached to it, how it's passed between partners, testing accuracy, etc.....

Now, I'm not a virgin and have had several partners over 12 years of being sexually active. No one has come to me saying they have any STI's and no one has ever complained to have gotten anything from me. But for whatever reason, the last time I had sex tripped my anxiety into going haywire and I cannot stop thinking about genital herpes and although both my partner and I have tested negative with the standard blood test, I can't quit worrying I may still have it. Neither he, nor I, have exhibited symptoms but I know that test misses 5% of hsv-2 infections and that symptoms can appear months/years after acquiring it. I'm terrified I may be in that 5% range and will have a very painful outbreak someday.

I'm working with a therapist and identifying my compulsions - research, going on herpes forums, asking for reassurance, etc. My therapist believes treatment for this is CBT, including exposure and imaginative therapy, homework assignments and such. Anyone have experience with this type of therapy for OCD/Illnesses Anxiety Disorder? I keep being told my fears are irrational - is that true?
    Last edited by bcf_101386; 08-02-17 at 13:33.

Re: Clinically Diagnosed with OCD - genital herpes

Hello,
    I'm currently facing the same fear as you.

I had many HIV tests and always use condoms, but starting freaking out after having sex with a prostitute (with condom) and knowing about STDs that can be transmitted even using protection.

Im not verry worried about Herpes - 1, probably we all have it, but my mind freaks when talking about Herpes 2 (genital).

[QUOTE=stakeholder;1659481]Hello,

I had many HIV tests and always use condoms, but starting freaking out after having sex with a prostitute (with condom) and knowing about STDs that can be transmitted even using protection.

Im not verry worried about Herpes - 1, probably we all have it, but my mind freaks when talking about Herpes 2 (genital).[/QUOTE Hi The chances are very slim of catching any thing if you were being careful but I would get checked out via a local GUM clinic if you are worried in any way Can I ask (And I am not judging you) what made you seek out a prostitute, is it because you have problems forming relationships or what? And for me personally I would not pay for sex ever, sooner do with out, but each to their own As for Herpes it's true we all carry it and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't cause any problems but best getting all relevant tests done and out of the way, Good luck and hope everything is ok. Cheers

[QUOTE=Bigboyuk;1659488]
    Quote Originally Posted by stakeholder View Post
    Hello,

Im not verry worried about Herpes - 1, probably we all have it, but my mind freaks when talking about Herpes 2 (genital).[/QUOTE Hi The chances are very slim of catching any thing if you were being careful but I would get checked out via a local GUM clinic if you are worried in any way Can I ask (And I am not judging you) what made you seek out a prostitute, is it because you have problems forming relationships or what? And for me personally I would not pay for sex ever, sooner do with out, but each to their own As for Herpes it's true we all carry it and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't cause any problems but best getting all relevant tests done and out of the way, Good luck and hope everything is ok. Cheers
    I already kissed many girls, so this is why I think I got herpes1.
    Yes, I'm worried (sometimes in panic), specially because I would feel dirty having genital herpes and having to tell about it to a new girlfriend.... I want to cry when I think about it. I don't want to feel or be seems as a dirty person.

The prostitute... I was drunk and thought it would be nice and a way to make sure I would be able to have sex (I'm always afraid to do not get an erection), but after it I started thinking any of my ex-girlfriends or persons I met could have transmitted this or other diseases to me.

Im afraid... I can't even focus on my work now.

[QUOTE=stakeholder;1659491]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post

I already kissed many girls, so this is why I think I got herpes1.
    Yes, I'm worried (sometimes in panic), specially because I would feel dirty having genital herpes and having to tell about it to a new girlfriend.... I want to cry when I think about it. I don't want to feel or be seems as a dirty person.

The prostitute... I was drunk and thought it would be nice and a way to make sure I would be able to have sex (I'm always afraid to do not get an erection), but after it I started thinking any of my ex-girlfriends or persons I met could have transmitted this or other diseases to me.

Im afraid... I can't even focus on my work now.
    Do you currently have gf? Do have any erection problems? Dr's have a good range of treatments etc. It's a very promiscuous world we live in and to have many partners would increase that risk quite a bit. For now concentrate on getting tests done, get the results back and move on that's what I would do Hope this helps in some way. Cheers

Mhm, someone have been googling a bit too much �� My advice is that if you have been tested, tests came back negative, accept them, do not look for IFs, because those will make you more anxious! Stay away from google and enjoy your life, you have been tested, you are negative! ��

Thread Information