Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious to know about alcohol and Citalopram

Re: Curious to know about alcohol and Citalopram

I guess it's weighing up the pros and cons of these meds. I already take beta blockers which have some side effects but the benefits outweigh the negatives, but today ive also been prescribed Ramapril for high BP, after trying unsuccessfully to control it myself for best part of the last 10 years, and now the time has come to treat it medically.

As my doc said, it's whether you want to live longer on the meds and accept the side effects if they come, or don't treat it and risk high BP reducing your lifespan. So it has to be the meds. But I get that there wouldn't have been a choice at all in the not so distant past, so I'm grateful to have options these days

ISB

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I've been taking it a couple of years now and my mood is still balanced.
    I've been taking 6 x 1,000mg fish oil capsules for about 11 years, not for anxiety, but for my heart. I had my left lung removed and as the lungs act as shock absorbers for the cardiovascular system it is now under more strain than usual. I can't say whether it has also has any impact on anxiety as this is well controlled by my antidepressant, but the Omega-3s do seem to help a lot of people.

So, the mice hadn't lost their marbles after all?
    No, but from whom did they get the marbles in the first place? Are you missing any Terry, because my "friends" insist I definitely am.

I think people differ, it affects me so I don't drink. Been on citalopram for about 3 years now too. Maybe it's because me and drink have had a rocky past, or maybe it's just the medication, I dunt know

Do not drink on Citalopram Ive been on it for 17 switch to effexor. It makes you feel so very depressed and anxious the next day.

I drink about 3/4 pints most nights whilst on citalopram. It's probably why I'm feeling so rough on these meds. 3 years ago I had a nasty reaction when I was on 40mg that prompted me to go straight to ER. I was fine, but that wasn't a nice experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I drink about 3/4 pints most nights whilst on citalopram. It's probably why I'm feeling so rough on these meds.
    It may well be. Alcohol inhibits neurogenesis, the mechanism by which antidepressants create the therapeutic response. Also, while alcohol is the most (self)prescribed anti anxiety 'med' on the market, it actually makes anxiety (also depression) worse over time. Alcohol and anxiety/depression feed of each other in a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    It may well be. Alcohol inhibits neurogenesis, the mechanism by which antidepressants create the therapeutic response. Also, while alcohol is the most (self)prescribed anti anxiety 'med' on the market, it actually makes anxiety (also depression) worse over time. Alcohol and anxiety/depression feed of each other in a vicious cycle.
    I do believe there's a lot of truth in that.

Doesn't it not mix well with your heart if you drink on celexa?

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    Doesn't it not mix well with your heart if you drink on celexa?
    There's no evidence to suggest that drinking in moderation on Citalopram/Celexa is dangerous or bad. The only thing I notice is after a couple of beers I feel very sleepy. It mentions this in the leaflet you get with the meds. The hangover the next day is horrible though. You may also be susceptible to increasing your anxiety and depression if you drink.

I drank Saturday and was fine and slept well. Drank yesterday on Mother's Day and had an awful night

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information