Thread: New to citalopram

New to citalopram

Hi

I've been perscribed citalopram for post natal anxiety/depression 20mg. I've only been taking 10mg so far as was worried about side effects.

I'm on day 6 and still feeling awful

I've got no appetite at all.. anxiety is worse, my pupils keep dialating in and out and so dizzy. Is this all normal? Finding it hard to keep going with the medication please say it gets better?

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Thanks
    Sarah x

Re: New to citalopram

Hi Sarah,

I'm about 12 days into mine, and i'm having the increased anxiety and dizziness. My doctor said it usually levels out at about 3 weeks. From my experience, it's longer than that, but everyone is different

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear you are also experiencing side effects. Ah ok maybe I need to give it another few weeks and see how I'm feeling.. just hard when it's making you feel so awful. Also wondering when to try and up my dose to 20mg or if I should stick at 10mg till I'm feeling better x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahxxxx View Post
    I've got no appetite at all.. anxiety is worse, my pupils keep dialating in and out and so dizzy. Is this all normal?
    Unfortunately, these are all fairly common initial side-effects of most antidepressants, Sarah, caused by an increase in serotonin activity. They usually resolve within a few weeks as the body adapts, however, the dilated pupils may not.

Thanks for your reply. I will stick with the tablets a few more weeks and hope the side effects ease. Do you know if pupil dialation is a side effect? I think that's what's making me so dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahxxxx View Post
    Do you know if pupil dialation is a side effect? I think that's what's making me so dizzy
    Dilated pupils are a potential side-effect of most antidepressants, but the dizziness is probably more from the heightened anxiety. It is a common anxiety symptom.

Four weeks in ... 3 weeks on 10mg, 1 week on 20mg. Feeling about halfway to normal now, side effects have all but gone. Will go up to 30mg in 1-2 weeks. So worth hanging on ... the days and nights begin to pass more quickly!

Also taking 40mg x 3 propranolol which helps with anxiety, although been tailing off and taken none yet today as undertaking exercise.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Side effects included heightened anxiety, especially in mornings, lack of sleep, sense of wooziness, tiredness, yawning, lack of appetite, headache. 10mg to 20mg was not a problem at all.

Hi Ip

Thanks for sharing how your feeling with the citalopram.. It's good to hear the side effects ease and I'm having pretty much the same as you experienced. Just the lack of appetite I hope comes back soon as losing lots of weight. Glad to hear your feeling better.. Might up from 10mg to 20mg soon.

Hang in there. 12 weeks for me before it finally worked for me. 3 weeks of awful
    Side effects.

Thread Information