Thread: Holter monitor showed heart rate of 159

Holter monitor showed heart rate of 159

So after suffering some mild chest pains and irregular heart beats I start panicking even more than normal and go to a&e. They took bloods did ecg and then had to wear holter monitor for 24 hrs. So I go today for the outpatient appt and results and was told my heart had hit 159 bpm which was "very high". apart from a couple of pvcs they said everything was fine and it just anxiety and to try to calm down. How can I calm down now I'm worried even more!
    I'm 45. They said my BP was Ok, thing is I run about 3 times a week about 5.5 miles and now I'm worried I'm straining my heart.
    I just suffer so bad with anxiety, please help

Re: Holter monitor showed heart rate of 159

Hi Rooby

There's a reason that they give you an ecg and that is to see if there's anything wrong with your heart. They've told you that you are ok. You're heart was probably doing 159bpm with anxiety and/or panic. There is no need to be alarmed by that figure, you are fit and healthy, it's just anxiety, and you will not harm your heart.

Just a question: do you check your heart rate when your running? I was just wondering how high it goes.

Please don't be concerned, there really is no need, but of course I do understand your anxieties, that is why I use the site too

Els

Thanks for replying and for your kind words. Ive never checked how fast my heart goes when I'm running but I have noticed missed beats sometimes when I've stopped. . I haven't ran since though am scared to.

My heart will hit 160-170 in the gym, I know for a fact it's hit 200 on one occasion after 48 hours awake and a gazillion Red Bulls. My RHR is 60-65 and I have a completely healthy heart.

Thread Information