Thread: Blood pressure monitor causing blood clot?!

Blood pressure monitor causing blood clot?!

I am in a panic over something I know might sound so stupid. But I was checking my blood pressure at the pharmacy on their automatic blood pressure monitor. I took it the first time and it was little low 110/77 ... so I took it again about 5 minutes later. The second time around, the cuff inflated tightly around my upper arm and I waited and waited for it to get a reading. After about a minute of waiting I had to press the stop button because my arm started to feel tight like it was going to burst and very tingly. I am worried now that I could have caused a blood clot in my arm! I am in such a panic. Has anyone ever had a blood pressure cuff inflated on their arm for 2 minutes or more and is ok? The cuff was super tight. I hate having health anxiety. I know I won't get any sleep over this ...

Re: Blood pressure monitor causing blood clot?!

Don't worry all BP measures have a tendency to often not register a reading.It has happened to me several times at my doctors.

Hi hun

I have had blood pressure monitors on my arm for an hour 3 times when I was in recovery after having my babies. So tight one time that it actually left little blood blister things on my arm.

I am sure it will be just fine xxx
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Thank you so much for the answers. HA is so hard to deal with. I hate it so much. I'm so grateful for this site because I don't feel judged for feeling scared over something like a blood pressure monitor giving me a blood clot.

Nothing to worry about but understand why you needed to ask. I have had bp cuffs so tight for so long that my whole arm has looked like one massive blue/red steaky bruise to the point I was once asked if I self harmed. I was so annoyed as it had been done by the hospital bp machine! I now insist on a large cuff and if it won't take it as it should I insist they take it off because I always bruise so badly with those ones.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Nothing to worry about but understand why you needed to ask. I have had bp cuffs so tight for so long that my whole arm has looked like one massive blue/red steaky bruise to the point I was once asked if I self harmed. I was so annoyed as it had been done by the hospital bp machine! I now insist on a large cuff and if it won't take it as it should I insist they take it off because I always bruise so badly with those ones.
    Thank you so much for telling me your experience. How long was the cuff inflated on your arm for that it bruised it so badly??? I really freaked out when that stupid automatic blood pressure machine wouldn't let my arm go. Must be something wrong with it. It squeezed so tight and couldn't get a reading for about 1 minute. My hand was turning bluish and my arm felt like it was going to burst. I'm glad there was a "stop" button . But I got really scared that I could've caused a blood clot from it cutting off my circulation for a long time.

Thread Information