Thread: Exercise Exercise Exercise

Exercise Exercise Exercise

After going through the hell of anxiety ands depression since last August and relapsing constantly, I have had about three weeks of relief now. It has coincided with going to the gym every other day - cycling, running, rowing and weights. It's so much easier with other people there.

A few minutes of meditation here and there also seems to be helping.

Yes, I still get little attacks here and there, but I'm happier and my head isn't under constant attack. I'm still on 40mg of paroxetine per day (no idea if they do anything). And have counselling (very good). I'm still living within my bounds and try not to be exposed to anything that could set me off, which isn't easy - it happened three or four weeks ago and I went downhill.

I was even well enough to perform at a local folk club - doing that a month or two back would have killed me.

I feel more enthusiastic and calm generally.

I believe the secret is exercise until you sweat buckets. It really does calm me down. It's not to say I won't relapse again, but it's really helping.

Fingers crossed, and thank you all.

Re: Exercise Exercise Exercise

I've found exercise very helpful for me too, lately. I relapsed back into anxiety about 6 weeks ago. I've been walking miles each day. Today, it's raining here and I felt my mood lower the minute I woke up, knowing that I might not get a walk in today.

I might have to do what you are doing, and join a gym. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the weather.

I work out 5 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour at a time and I'm very happy with how calm it's been making me. I feel and look better and it's improving my overall health. Definitely exercise!

Exercise and meditation are really all you need to overcome anxiety, in my opinion.

The problem is usually that people try it for a week, aren't cured, and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Exercise and meditation are really all you need to overcome anxiety, in my opinion.

The problem is usually that people try it for a week, aren't cured, and give up.
    Well...I probably wouldn't agree with you on that one but it's great that it works for CroydonBee.

So glad that you have found some relief and success-keep up the good work and have confidence in your ability to get better.

I wish those two things are all I needed to overcome my anxiety! lol

Me too on the exercise. If it helps, great stuff and keep it up. My anxiety revolves around stuff like exercise so it's an exposure therapy process for me to change how I feel about it. This is has worked for some but I'm still struggling with others.

Thread Information