Thread: Dentist and I have cracked my tooth

Dentist and I have cracked my tooth

Today I put some chewing gum in my mouth, the tablet type, and it landed lengthways between my two molars at the back left of my mouth.

I bit down and heard a crack, not a loud crack but a crack nonetheless. I've taken a picture (please excuse it's nature!) and wondered if anyone could reassure me that it's not too bad!

I hate dentists and haven't been for probably about ten years. My teeth are fine apart from this.

I wouldn't say it hurts, I can just feel a slight pressure there, but not overly painful.

My partner had a look and said the crack doesn't look particularly fresh, and that maybe it's been there a while and I've just disturbed it.

Any opinions welcome, I'm very worried about having to go to the dentist and I'm concerned how much it would cost!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dentist and I have cracked my tooth

I guess since you haven't been in 10 years you don't have a dentist. Ring a few near you until you find one that takes NHS patients.

This site explains the cost you might have to pay.
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...dental-charges.

I hate going to the dentist too, but the pain of possible toothache if you don't go is far worse. Good luck

Re: Dentist and I have cracked my tooth

It could even be the the tooth had already been weakened over time and the force has caused some of it to fall away.

This is how one of my wisdom teeth started off. However, I went on with it like that for years with no pain or anything. It would only give me a sharp pain if I prodded deep inside it. Eventually the rest weakened too and one day whilst eating bacon I fel the crunch and the outsides fell away. At this point I started to have some toothache and also developed an infection.

So, if it isn;t hurting, you may be able to live with it a while but I would be very careful how you use that side to eat if you want to prolong it. If you have any pain or discolouration or inflammation of the gum then I would consult a dentist.

There is a local NHS number in The Yellow Pages that you call and it tells you which local practices are taking on NHS patients. I lost my dentist from my childhood as he decided to move and the remaining one wouldn't take his patients. This meant I went about 10 years without seeing one but I've ended up with a better one through this NHS referral service but I just have to travel a bit further.

Thread Information