Thread: Open gallbladder removal

Open gallbladder removal

Hey guys
    I've had so much trouble with my gallbladder over the past two years, from mrcps to ERCPs and every scan an test in between.. Well this Wednesday I'm having the vile little organ removed. I am so scared and even more so because its open surgery instead of the usual keyhole. Anxiety is at its all time high 😭. Has anyone had this sort of operation before..

Thanks
    Lashana xx

Re: Open gallbladder removal

I think i'm going to be having mine out. Why are you having open surgery?

Have you found the NHS a bit crap at diagnosing you? I've been nearly 18 months of getting palmed off so far.

Hey Matt

I have been suffering since I was 17, diagnosed when I was 18, I'm almost 35 now 🙈 They have only really decided to deal with me because of the pain I've been in for past two years.

I've now got stones stuck in my bile duct that they can't remove with the ERCP, they are completely wedged in so open surgery has to be done to clear them the same time as taking the gallbladder out. I've already had 3 ERCPS and they removed 14 stones from my duct, if they could have got the last three I'd have been able to have keyhole.

I think in all honesty it was only because I went back and forth to A and E that much with pain and infection they knew they had to do something. They don't hurry much, my daughter had to have hers removed last year, she's 17.. Took me two years to get them to listen when I said it was her gallbladder. X

Quote Originally Posted by Lashana83 View Post
    Hey Matt

I have been suffering since I was 17, diagnosed when I was 18, I'm almost 35 now 🙈 They have only really decided to deal with me because of the pain I've been in for past two years.

I've now got stones stuck in my bile duct that they can't remove with the ERCP, they are completely wedged in so open surgery has to be done to clear them the same time as taking the gallbladder out. I've already had 3 ERCPS and they removed 14 stones from my duct, if they could have got the last three I'd have been able to have keyhole.

I think in all honesty it was only because I went back and forth to A and E that much with pain and infection they knew they had to do something. They don't hurry much, my daughter had to have hers removed last year, she's 17.. Took me two years to get them to listen when I said it was her gallbladder. X

Bless you! That sounds awful! I've lived in pain for 18months now and my GP and the Gastro at the hospital wouldn't listen. I got referred to a surgeon eventually and he's not 100% convinced it is my gallbladder, so i'm still getting passed from pillar to post and it's so frustrasting but the surgeon has now ordered more tests than my GP and Gastro ever did, but everything takes so long with waiting times.

You should never have been left this long to now require open surgery. Good luck for Wednesday!!! You'll be ok but as you probably know open surgery isn't in and out the same day. If you can get through 3 ERCP's you can get through this! x

Keep us posted.

That's actually quite shocking that you have had to wait until a surgeon sends you for the tests. I'm assuming you have had scans done!?

If it wasn't for my Gastro I don't think I'd be any further forward, he has done so much and was so gutted he couldn't get the last few stones out.

Everyone here at home is trying their best to reassure me that everything is OK but this anxiety is a nightmare. I guess that's why I was hoping to hear from people that have had it done but it all seems to be keyhole!

I'm looking at a five day stay in hospital, not the ideal thing when you have 4 kids but I guess it has to be done.

I will definitely pop on and let you know how it all goes ��

Sorry i never got back sooner!!

No the Gastro and my GP were very dismissive. I had a CT scan and that was going to be it and the Gastro tried to discharge me. I had to hassle him for 5 months and that was after it had taken nearly over 6 months to see him in the first place. It's a very long saga.

GOOD LUCK for tomorrow!!!! xx

Good luck, Lashana! Stay in hospital for as long as you can post-op. With 4 children it will be a nightmare coming out too quickly especially if you don't have much help at home.
    Take all the post-op pain meds you are prescribed and don't be brave if you are in pain. Open surgery is not easy and you will need a lot of TLC whilst recovering.
    I really hope the op is successful and that this is a new pain-free start for you.

Thread Information