Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mole suddenly red and swollen. Photo

Mole grew back irregular after I long it off

In the past few months I have became terrified of my moles (melanoma fear) and have scratched off a few...using anything from my fingernail to nail clippers. Instant regret afterwards, but I’m still finding myself doing it!
    Anyway, two months ago I used nail clippers to remove a mole from the back of my knee. The wound got infected and I got some topical antibiotic cream from the GP. Now the mole has regrown in a very flat, brown odd shape.
    The gp told me he wasn’t worried but would refer me to the melanoma clinic to put my mind at rest. I was seen in the melanoma clinic three days later (the wait felt like three weeks! And I was so frightened I thought I would vomit) but the dermatologist couldn’t really give me much reassurance as the skin around the mole was too inflamed. So they took some photos and I have to go back in four weeks. She said it is probably a traumatised mole, but I cannot help thinking that it must be more than that or she’d have discharged me!
    I honestly don’t know how I can live with this fear for four weeks when every day feels like a month! The fear is overwhelming and I cannot focus on anything else!
    Has anyone else had a mole which has regrown in an odd shape?

Re: Mole grew back irregular after I long it off

Most moles if you pick at them enough won't grow back into their original shape

Re: Mole grew back irregular after I long it off

Thank you for your reply.

This particular mole has grown back in the shape of an outline of a dog! Very sharp edges and no pigment in the centre. It is 4mm x 4mm. I know they can grow back different but I thought they generally stayed circular?

Mole biopsy GP?

I had two moles removed at the GP practice two weeks ago for “cosmetic reasons”. (Really it was to relieve my HA regarding them even though I was constantly told they’re benign)
    Do GP practices routinely sends them for pathology? I’m worried because I have had some missed calls recently from an unknown number and I’m worried it might be related to the moles I had excised?! The GP didn’t mention whether they go for biopsy or not, but typical of HA I absolutely cannot shake the thought!

Re: Mole biopsy GP?

I think all lumps/moles etc are sent off to be biopsy.

Ah yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Ah yikes!
    Not because yours is/could be cancerous, as your gp told yours are benign, just to cover their back.

I have NF and one of my lumps were being sent off just like my mums nf lumps and all were benign, mine and my mums were removed in the hospital theatre, we were told ours were fine when the people removing them, but just to cover their backs sent them off to be tested

So would the GP ring me to give me the results either way, or would I only hear from them if it were bad news?

Melanoma clinic or private dermatologist?

I have severe mole anxiety...the the point that I pick them off with nail clippers if they are affecting my anxiety. It’s so bad �� I have one that grew back in an irregular shape and I have to return to the melanoma clinic in four weeks to have it checked out. (I don’t know why they told me to come back in four weeks, I’m so confused)The wait is agonising. Does anyone know a way to get this over with quicker? How much does it cost to go private and where do I start? (UK)

Re: Melanoma clinic or private dermatologist?

Hi, I had a mole I was worried about, the 4 weeks is to see if there has been any changes.

If they were concerned they would have done a biopsy or even removed it when you were there.

Mine hadnt changed in the time, I was told to keep an eye on it for changes as you should for all moles but that there was no concerns about it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information