Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help blocked toilet

Re: Help blocked toilet

Serious question... how were you able to get yourself to put your arm elbow deep in the loo with your contamination OCD? It's not like you can buy a new one!

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Serious question... how were you able to get yourself to put your arm elbow deep in the loo with your contamination OCD? It's not like you can buy a new one!

FMP
    Very good point FMP! Especaily with toilet germs and no gloves! I guess I already know the answer but does it add up? ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Very good point FMP! Especaily with toilet germs and no gloves! I guess I already know the answer but does it add up? ATB
    I would be more worried about the sink having germs after I wash my arm rather than my arm

I’m in from work so trying the dishwasher tablet solution first. I will update if I get it away..

Funnily enough in ERP the last step is often one that goes beyond what normally anyone would do. I remember reading about this in a paper put to professionals about ensuring they target the anxiety properly. In the case of one example they would have the person touching the sides of the toilet bowl.

But I'm guessing Phil had gloves on in this case.

I think phils OCD is quite selective as there have been many examples of where he's actually done something without being bothered by it e.g. he strimmed the grass but didn't seem to care that made the strimmer contaminated if he thought he had previously contaminated the grass.

But I question whether it's more a Perfectionism issue than a Contamination one. There is a particular focus on toilet germs though.

I remember my Symmetrical Thinking was very selective. Some items bothered me intensely yet others I could through in a pile in the corner.

You should be able to get rods from plumbing supply stores, hardware stores, online, etc. Much cheaper than the more extensive rodding a company will do for you. We've only had to do it a few times in decades. The coat hanger will just be a more basic version of rodding. You can get air guns too but I know my dad finds them less successful compared to rods.

Do you flush only at the end of wiping? If so, for now until you are able to work on reduction, at least do flushes bit by bit as it will stop the blocking.

I managed to unblock it the dish washer tablets never worked nor did toilet brush. I got a toilet plunger and it went away in seconds ..

I put it on top of the toilet brush to keep it from avoiding the floor. The good news no water on floor or plumber. The bad news is I blocked a toilet twice and I’ve only been in the house 5 mins..if had a family I couldn’t leave the plunger around as I would worry they would touch it and bring it round the house

So yes I’ve felt my house is contaminated and ruined now I blocked the toilet however I’ve not been able to recover from my over use of toilet paper some of my ocd like coming out the shower I fixed however not the toilet one. I mean I limied the plunger to one area and no water should should have hit the floor. I noticed the old toilet brush which was left behind had some toilet water on it anyway so perhaps the previous owner was putting that brush down the loo anyway

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Funnily enough in ERP the last step is often one that goes beyond what normally anyone would do. I remember reading about this in a paper put to professionals about ensuring they target the anxiety properly. In the case of one example they would have the person touching the sides of the toilet bowl.

But I'm guessing Phil had gloves on in this case.

I think phils OCD is quite selective as there have been many examples of where he's actually done something without being bothered by it e.g. he strimmed the grass but didn't seem to care that made the strimmer contaminated if he thought he had previously contaminated the grass.

But I question whether it's more a Perfectionism issue than a Contamination one. There is a particular focus on toilet germs though.

I remember my Symmetrical Thinking was very selective. Some items bothered me intensely yet others I could through in a pile in the corner.

You should be able to get rods from plumbing supply stores, hardware stores, online, etc. Much cheaper than the more extensive rodding a company will do for you. We've only had to do it a few times in decades. The coat hanger will just be a more basic version of rodding. You can get air guns too but I know my dad finds them less successful compared to rods.

Do you flush only at the end of wiping? If so, for now until you are able to work on reduction, at least do flushes bit by bit as it will stop the blocking.
    I never block after doing the toilet it’s the wiping up bit. Usually I block once I’m clean and I’m wiping for the 10th time I end up putting too much down and forgetting to flush.

And yes I see your point about not being contamination as I will give you an example somebody who goes to the toilet and doesn’t wash there hands and touches stuff that sort of worries me but only like 1/10 but if I did this it would be a case of throwing anything I touch away..

And you are correct I’ve not once worried the strimmer is contaminated but if I ran over this with my “new” lawmower then it would have been and who knows maybe id rebuy it.

My ocd has been quite bad of late I went through dark times meaning of life ocd to the toilet germs and every day hand washing.

I can’t go back I’ve already blocked the toilet I mean I wish I could find perfection however perhaps the drains and toilet are bit worse than my last house as if I blocked it I could let it gurgle up and the water would eventually go after an hour or two without plunging.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

And can you tell me more about the Perfectionism ocd is this common? I have always believed it was contamination however logically I know cleaning something could make it cleaner than before like the toilet was very dirty here when I moved in but me blocking it has spoiled it and made the house not perfect anymore. Despite blocking I could use some
    Bleach spray and had the whole thing cleaner yet my mind won’t accept this I believe blocking it has meant I need a new toilet new sink or new house ..

---------- Post added 19-05-18 at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was 18-05-18 at 21:05 ----------

My ocd tonight has been the urge to throw away clothes that were in bathroom with the blocked toilet or I would want to replace the washing machine

Also anxious about a dirty plunger in my bathroom

There are CCI workbooks for Perfectionism so have a look at the descriptions here:

https://psychologytools.com/mechanis...ectionism.html

It may be Contamination & Perfectionism. Perfectionism seems to cross over into other themes a lot. It just strikes me that it's not always about germs themselves more a tainted object. It reminds me of another OCD sufferer on here who buys watches but gets them home and starts to struggle not to sell them again as they don't feel perfect anymore.

It's worth seeing what your therapist thinks. Either way, therapy can still help. It can just help to understand any other elements that might need addressing in recovery.

As for the paper, that happens with ours. Just flush it half way through wiping or more frequent and you will find this stops happening. And the thickness of paper can be an issue too which can dictate the need for more flushes.

I will add re the plunger (good move btw ) Why not put in a zip up freezer bag shake the excess water off before you put it in the bag and zip the bag up that will afford you protection when you put it on the floor You sound in a very bad way just a observation from reading the last few posts, so glad you are going or get help for your OCD ATVB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    I will add re the plunger (good move btw ) Why not put in a zip up freezer bag shake the excess water off before you put it in the bag and zip the bag up that will afford you protection when you put it on the floor You sound in a very bad way just a observation from reading the last few posts, so glad you are going or get help for your OCD ATVB
    Yes I’ve been wanting to get a new house again due to feeling this one is spoiled. I wish I could go back and be the type of person who doesn’t block a toilet.

Yes I get help this Monday I’m hoping it helps as it’s mostly my ocd that’s bad. My anxiety had dropped however I feel the ocd thoughts are making me anxious again.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Regarding the plunger I think I will keep it for now but I will maybe buy a few extra plungers incase I decide to throw this one away..

But you can stop yourself blocking a toilet, phil. Are you saying your anxiety is making you deliberately block it because, the amount of paper aside, you feel you can't flush it in stages?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    But you can stop yourself blocking a toilet, phil. Are you saying your anxiety is making you deliberately block it because, the amount of paper aside, you feel you can't flush it in stages?
    No the ocd isn’t making me block the toilet just the urge to use too much paper. I know I need to stop blocking them as I block one at work every day. I do flush a few times however seems to be that one time I put too much down. I use to block them so bad my parents had to pull all the paper out so when I say I block the toilet now it’s never with much loo roll I even cheap paper now.

I have a few issues using too much loo roll and wanting to replace e.g right now it’s a new house I want as my ocd is that extreme only leaving the anxious situation helps my anxiety. For example when I was young I peed a floor during the night by accident at a friends flat years later I go by that flat and still think it must be germs and contaminated for the people in that house now. And I still see both my partners parents house and mine as contaminated as I blocked toilets there before. At work I stopped buying stuff from the shop because the cleaner uses a mop on the floor and I worried she used that in that bathroom
    And the germs from any toilet water were on it even if I can’t clarify if it was blocked and any water was on the floor.

Strange thing is I don’t generally find my work contaminated wanting a new house again and not buying from my work are recent extreme ocds I’ve had a lot of fake thoughts and not wanting to give my parents hoovers incase I thought my new one had been used at there’s even though that makes sense.

So yes it’s the extreme ocd I’ve had that’s made me seek some help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information