Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Mirtazapine help me sleep?

Will Mirtazapine help me sleep?

Hi guys I have bad insomnia for many months now. Doctor won't give me anymore Zopiclone but he says Mirtazapine will help me sleep. He has advised me to take 15mg. Is this medication as sedating as Zopiclone? With Zopiclone I had to take two 7.5mg to make me sleep longer than 4 hours. So just curious how strong the Mertazapine is.

Thanks.

Re: Will Mirtazapine help me sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz1985 View Post
    Hi guys I have bad insomnia for many months now. Doctor won't give me anymore Zopiclone but he says Mirtazapine will help me sleep. He has advised me to take 15mg. Is this medication as sedating as Zopiclone? With Zopiclone I had to take two 7.5mg to make me sleep longer than 4 hours. So just curious how strong the Mertazapine is.

Thanks.

First time taking? Yeah it’ll knock you off your feet for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell yes. It's amazing I have ptsd night terrors and it helps me so much

Be careful though it stimulates appetite
    Beware of craving carbs put on a tiny bit of weight at first I'm good now though

That was my side effect at least good luck

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

I know someone who takes the same medication. I don't know what dosage they take. I do know that they have helped with sleep.
    I don't know about the weight thing either, but the benefit of the sleep is alright.
    All the best.

The first tablet I took, 7.5mg, knocked me out for 16 hours solid

Yes, it's very effective. Oddly, it works better for sleep at lower doses, often agreed to be either 7.5mg or 15mg. That's because it's a potent anti-histamine at those doses - higher, and it works as an enervater as the AD effect kicks in.

However, don't go thinking it will work like Zop - i.e. take it and 20 minutes later and you're asleep. As it works in a more subtle way, take around 60-90 minutes before you aim to sleep (though especially at first, it may make you sleepy much quicker).

And as stated, be ready for the hunger/carb cravings, as these can lead to rapid weight gain. Stuff yourself with salad, plain chicken and fizzy water (yes really!) to fill yourself up with few calories. If you're slimmer than you want to be, then less of a problem and your problem will be quickly solved...

Best wishes,

Albert

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I take it and it's great for sleep. I'd probably just take 7.5mg if you're just using it for sleeeeepppp.

Thanks guys took 15mg (as per my doc advice) about 30 mins ago and will go to bed in another 30 mins. I am starting to feel.a bit tried so hopefully that's a good sign. I have terrible insomnia so hope this drug penetrates it.

Good luck with it, and tell us how you went. Mirtazapine works on two neurotransmitters to help with sleep. It has a strong antihistamine effect which promotes sleep onset, and also a serotonin effect (not all agree with this) that helps maintain sleep. There is also a noradrenaline effect that's more activating at higher doses that can be helpful to people with depression, but can be too arousing for people with anxiety, hence lower doses recommended for sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information